Effects questions

Derek5272

• Members

So I want to do something similar to what is shown in the following picture (ripped off of an MF article)... That is, have a bass signal processed through some effects pedals and then mixed back in with the unmodified bass signal. What would I use to split the signal? Any recommendations for a mixer?

Figure-1.jpg

Also, for the effects I want to be able to do distortion, octave up, and envelope filter. My current multi-effects pedal (Digitech BP50) can do half-decent distortion, but can't do both octave up and envelope filter together. Any recommendations for pedals? Or should I just get a better multieffects, like a Pod? If the Pod's a good idea, should I go for an XT Live or should a Floor Pod be adequate?

EDIT: Looks like the Floor Pod only does octave down. Anybody know about the XT Live?

• Members

Octave up? I am intrigued.

Pitch shift effect does -12 to +12 semitones. Unfortunately, it mixes it back with the original signal. I was hoping I could do just an octave up. I like pedalling on open strings, so octave up is preferable to playing in a higher register with an octave down.

• Members

Yeah. I thought mixing the effects in is what you wanted. Did I read the OP completely wrong?
:confused:

Well, my amp doesn't separate the signals... With the effects loop, it's taking my bass signal, running it through the effects, and then putting that through the amp. What I want is my bass signal through the amp, as well as a separate signal that's gone through the effects.

• Members

Well, my amp doesn't separate the signals... With the effects loop, it's taking my bass signal, running it through the effects, and then putting that through the amp. What I want is my bass signal through the amp, as well as a separate signal that's gone through the effects.

I would say some kind of looper is in store then.

• Members

I would say some kind of looper is in store then.

Like what Renfield posted? That one looks like it will do exactly what I want it to do.

And, I had never tested the octave up on my pedal before, but it sucks. The octave of everything above the low A is out of tune :( Guess I'll have to go the suboctave route.

• Members

Hold that thought..... It doesnt do an envelope filter. My Bad

My BP50 has an envelope filter, I just can't get that and octaver at the same time. I think I'll just get an octave pedal (hopefully that doesn't produce both notes like my pedal, but just the suboctave) and use this for the envelope and distortion.

• Members

I think I might try tossing one of
in to see how it sounds with octave up, before I resign myself to having to play in the upper register.

These are pretty popular pedals, though I've never had the opportunity/money to get one to try. Post your thoughts, if you end up getting one.

• Members

These are pretty popular pedals, though I've never had the opportunity/money to get one to try. Post your thoughts, if you end up getting one.

Will do. My dad made the suggestion to me. I'm hoping to go to the store tomorrow, so I'll be trying out as much as I can.

Archived