Flatwound Recommendation?

beedlesw

• Members

I want to get a set of flatwounds, I've been playing a lot of old country/bluegrass stuff lately, and I'm really digging the thumpy bass sound, and I'm wondering what's a good brand to go with? I've never used flats before, and I've always used EB rounds. EB makes flats, but from my own research I've kind of deduced that either DR or D'addario would be the way to go, but does anyone have any suggestions or input? D'addario's flats are cheaper, but from what i've read it seems DR are the strings that god would use if he played bass, so which company should get my hard earned $$

• Members

If you're really looking for thump, I suggest La Bella 760FL or Fender 9050ML flats. Give them time to break in, a couple months of regular playing at least.

D'Addario Chromes are great, but aren't especially thumpy. Neither are TI Jazz Flats.

• Members

The DR High Beam flats may not be God-like, but they are a really nice string with a strong tone... a little brighter than other flats, so they sit in the mix really well (normal flats turn to mud and get lost in the mix).

The windings are ground after winding, so they feel very slick and they get a mirror finish as you play on them.

Yes, they are expensive... but they should last years.

Here are mine, right after installation:

Myroom1115016Medium.jpg

Myroom1115012Medium.jpg

Myroom1115008Medium.jpg

• Members

D'Addario Chromes

Chromes are very popular. I recently decided to give them a shot after using Fender flats for quite awhile. Haven't really had the Chromes on long enough to fully evaluate them yet but my initial opinion is very good.

• Members

I like Thomastik-Infeld but they are pricey.

+1. Yes they are pricey but worth it IMO, as the tone improves with age and they last for years. :thu: They have very low tension which does not suit everyone.

• Members

I have tried

Fender flats - Very thumpy on my Pbass fretted.

TI Jazz Flats - On my fretless, Moderate thump, tons of Jaco with P/J config.

Ernie Ball Flats - Not as Thumpy on Fretted P-Bass

TI - Jazz Flats - Thumpy with P-bass.

DADario Chromes - Moderate thump on Fretted P-Bass

What I want to try:

Either Labella Flats Deep Talking or Jazz monel from Rotosound for my fretless. Going for dark tone with Fretless to emulate upright bass. I have an ebony fretboard. I have a P-PUP.

• Members

I want to get a set of flatwounds, I've been playing a lot of old country/bluegrass stuff lately, and I'm really digging the thumpy bass sound, and I'm wondering what's a good brand to go with? I've never used flats before, and I've always used EB rounds. EB makes flats, but from my own research I've kind of deduced that either DR or D'addario would be the way to go, but does anyone have any suggestions or input? D'addario's flats are cheaper, but from what i've read it seems DR are the strings that god would use if he played bass, so which company should get my hard earned $$

I still really like my Fender Tapewound strings for my P Bass. They have a great thump and super feel. :thu:

• Members

I have had GHS flats on my Cort jazz for 8+ years with no problems. Yes, the same ones. Fender flats on my Musicmaster since 1973, and I bought some Carvin flats for my ex band's Peavey 5'er last year. They all seem to do the job.

Archived