Hey Aussies.....

bassesofalessergod

• Members

I recognise the author haven't read the book though.

you'd like it. it is about psychotic clowns.

apparently the author is a schizophrenic, and some of the themes in the book suggest that to be the case.

This is his first published work, but apparently it won some prestigious aussie lit awards.

• Members

he seems to really be influenced by Mr. Bungle as well:

Of all music on this list, it's Mr. Bungle's that speaks to the Pilo Family Circus most directly. The self-titled debut of course has a misbehaving-clown theme (check out the cover art work), and this was in the background of my mind when designing the book's clown characters. The whole album is a dizzy carnival, from "Carousel" to "Dead Goon." Each song reminds me of the book.

Disco Volante is of a similar atmosphere, perhaps even more intense. It is hilarious, at times acutely disturbing. You get a sense that the expression in the music is of someone getting onstage, degrading themselves to a point where nothing you say, do, or throw at them will bother them any more. (Like the Samuel Johnson quote: He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.) The effect, of course, is that you are sharing in the degradation, even maybe just by trying to understand what you're seeing... so the album gets you up there onstage too, maybe only a little, or maybe you, too, can revel in it.

"Merry Go Bye Bye," is the perfect soundtrack. I kind of feel the clowns in the book stepped out of this song, which is completely chaotic and deranged, lurching through styles and modes to a point it breaks down completely and can no longer strictly be called music.

Archived