1st Electric Bass purchase

abominable1

• Members

Hi,

I'd like to first say thank you! A few years ago, I consulted y'all about purchasing an Acoustic Bass and ended up buying a used Tacoma Thunderchief which turned out to be a fantastic guitar.

Now, I'm interested in buying an electric Bass. I had my heart set on a Ric but after viewing the price tags for ones on ebay ($1500-$3000!) I need to reevaluate. I was hoping to find a used something and pay under $1000.

I'd like the best quality for the least expense. Brand names don't mean much to me but quality does. I'm looking for a solid instrument with great sounds and a unique look. Something off the beaten path.

Can you recommend an electric bass?

Currently, I am using a California Blonde for my Acoustic guitar and bass. These babies are build to handle an acoustic bass' low end. Can it handle an electric bass as well?

• Members

Now, I'm interested in buying an electric Bass. I had my heart set on a Ric but after viewing the price tags for ones on ebay ($1500-$3000!) I need to reevaluate. I was hoping to find a used something and pay under $1000.

I'd like the best quality for the least expense. Brand names don't mean much to me but quality does. I'm looking for a solid instrument with great sounds and a unique look. Something off the beaten path.

Can you recommend an electric bass?

Consider used gear. There should be lots of options under $1,000. I know there was a Yamaha BB3000MA that sold for under $1,000 on eBay a few weeks ago, and I love my Yammy. :thu:

• Members

I have to say it, FENDER!!!!!:p It doesn't matter if it is Mexican or American, I prefer American, you can find a good quality instrument. You can usually find used Mexicans for around $250 and used Americans for around $650.

• Members

Got to give Leo Fender credit for creating instruments that can be mass produced using standard wood sizes without much waste. They make good, inexpensive instruments. (That keep their value.) That is inexpensive, but not cheap.

Archived