NMD: Mastodon - Crack The Skye

RSBro

• Members

So, I know I'm a few weeks late getting this, but I was at Best Buy last night getting an HDMI cable so I picked it up b/c it was on sale.

I've read the reviews, the rants, the good/bad and a lot of it is similar to what I heard about Blood Mountain, which I LOVED, so I was like "ok, this should be killer".

Well, it's, okay... I'm kind of a little disappointed. I know what they were trying to accomplish with the record, but it feels a little rushed, and I'm sorry, but 7 songs, 50 mins? I probably dont' "get" them as much as others do with the whole scope of an album thing, but B.M. was so well put together and executed, it didn't feel like just one big plop of "Ok, here we go, straight ahead for 7 songs and try to keep up!" They had individual pieces you could pick out better and relate more song-to-song, if that makes sense.

I still like it, and it's still new, and as much a diehard, unabashed fanboi of LoG as I am, even Wrath had to grow on me some, so I know this will eventually too. I had just read the reviews and chatter on LoG's new disc which I now love and it was pretty well received, but Crack the Skye just seemed to have reinvented metal or something (which I think they're def more prog than anything) but I just don't feel it's that good.

Still amazing though compared to anything else on the radar and I'm glad they're getting this kind of exposure. Same thing happened to the thrash masters from Virginia after Sacrament dropped, so it's awesome all around for any hard music/metalhead.

:thu:

• Members

Cool, I'll have to check it out. Sometimes a cd grows on you the more you hear it. The first time you listen to a new cd from an established band, it may sound weird because in your mind you're comparing it to what they've done before instead of hearing it for what it is (which may or may not be great!)

To me, LOG just keep on consistently putting out killer metal if you're into it. My favorite is still As the Palaces Burn, but everything they've done has been pretty cool. :thu:

The newest Exodus cd is awesome as well (even though it's almost a couple of years old by now) and I'm so glad those guys got back together. Also, anyone who's a fan of great metal should check out Believer's latest disc, Gabriel. Or even their old stuff, Sanity Obscure or Dimensions.

• Members

Yeah I'm already halfway through it again the 2nd time this morning, and I'm liking it more.

I was exhausted on the way home last night, and this isn't the type of stuff you just pop in and cruise too, IMO. :) You kinda have to pay attention to really see what's all in there.

I tried to look for the new Believer album last night at Best Buy but didn't see it.

Also, I'm not sure if Troy was the only one singing or what on B.M., but their lead guitarist Brent (I think?) sounds exactly like 90's Ozzy. Seriously. It's a little weird. :)

• Members

^^^

Epic mufukking win.

Greatest. Song. Evar.

Best intro to a movie I think I have ever seen. I almost pissed myself I was laughing so hard. LINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMM KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE.

I was thinkin about picking up that album, points noted.

• Members

The lyrics, however, were stellar. Cutting off your lips for making out and leave your baby in the street?

BABIES DON'T WATCH THIS, TAKE THE SEED OUTSIDE! That was my fav line I think :D

• Members

I'm going to get that album at the show on Tuesday if the show is good. Haha. They have a couple songs from the album on myspace and I like them well enough. What I've heard is definitely not the Mastodon you've heard on the prior albums, but still good. IMO, this is probably the biggest difference:

"On this one [Crack the Skye], they've broken with Leviathan/Blood Mountain producer Matt Bayles for Springsteen/Pearl Jam collaborator Brendan O'Brien."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/12872-crack-the-skye/

• Members

, they've broken with Leviathan/Blood Mountain producer Matt Bayles for Springsteen/Pearl Jam collaborator Brendan O'Brien."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/12872-crack-the-skye/

Yeah I think I read that in the R.S. article.

It definitely shows.

Make sure and report on the show. From how much they talk about getting absolutely hammered and high off their asses, I'd be interested to see how well the show goes- not that they can't do it, but, yeah. :)

• Members

Crack the Skye = Album of the year 2009. Hands down.

To me, LOG just keep on consistently putting out killer metal if you're into it. My favorite is still
As the Palaces Burn
, but everything they've done has been pretty cool.

Wrath is right now a close 2nd. Killer CD as well.

• Members

Crack the Skye = Album of the year 2009. Hands down.

Wrath is right now a close 2nd. Killer CD as well.

Mine's reversed, but hey, if those 2 are your top records of the year in any order, we're gonna get along! :D:thu:

• Members

They misspelled sky.

:poke:

It's the name of the drummer's younger sister who died, whom the album is a lot about.

:poke:

Ass.

:p

• Members

It's a killer CD for sure- the whole things flows together really well as a concept album. It's actually really mellow too compared to some of their earlier work. More singing, more harmonies, more just melodic riffs I guess...

That's how I'd classify it.

Blood Mountain came out and punched you in the teeth.

This kicks back a little more and just impresses the hell out of me musically how they streamed it all together.

• Members

I've listened to it about 5-6 times today (as it's relatively short) and it's grown on me.

I kinda have some actual riffs I remember that I'm singing along with or whatever, that sorta thing. :)

Archived