Peavey TVX problem...

Poltergeist

• Members

... so... i've had this cab for quite a while, and it's been great so far.

... but a month ago i started getting this rattle-like noise, but it was unnoticable when playing along to music/band, so i just didn't give a crap...

... a few days ago it started getting really ugly, in particular when i hit low notes...

... it sounded so much like rattling that i took the grill out and all that crap, thinking the noise was coming from there...

.... i took it off, plugged my P-bass back in, and {censored}. it was still there.

... i left the E string ringing and tried to hear where that {censored} was coming from.

...i'm 99% it's the tweeter alone... the thing is - i have the tweeter volume completely turned off...

the thing is - should i open the cab and kill the tweeter completely? the noise is completely unbearable... what do you guys recommend me to do? i'm a total noob when it comes to electronics and crap like this.

• Members

... so... i've had this cab for quite a while, and it's been great so far.

... but a month ago i started getting this rattle-like noise, but it was unnoticable when playing along to music/band, so i just didn't give a crap...

... a few days ago it started getting really ugly, in particular when i hit low notes...

... it sounded so much like rattling that i took the grill out and all that crap, thinking the noise was coming from there...

.... i took it off, plugged my P-bass back in, and {censored}. it was still there.

... i left the E string ringing and tried to hear where that {censored} was coming from.

...i'm 99% it's the tweeter alone... the thing is - i have the tweeter volume completely turned off...

the thing is - should i open the cab and kill the tweeter completely? the noise is completely unbearable... what do you guys recommend me to do? i'm a total noob when it comes to electronics and crap like this.

maybe the tweeter is actually loose in the cab? FYI, if you need to, you can buy the element for the tweeter for about $15 and swap it out yourself (I think it's just 4 screws and drops in) instead of buying a whole new tweeter.

• Members

Unplug one wire on the tweeter itself, and see if that takes care of it - if it does, then you'll know which way you want to go next... If the cab's completely back together, you can get at the tweeter's terminals easiest by removing one of the handles...

- georgestrings

• Members

possibly, possibly... but the noise gets louder as i turn up the volume.... do you think it could still just be loose?

i tightened the screws on the tweeter already.

not if the screws are tight. Try just unplugging it to make sure. I can't remember if the tweeter is a Fostex or a Foster, but you can find the elements for them.

elements....

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/speaker-parts-cp/Fostex-N30/DIA-FOS/Foster+and+Fostex/

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/12diaphragms.htm

I've replaced 2 over the years w/o any problem.

• 2 months later...

Archived