New to Bass

Davgar97

• Members

Hi guys, I've been playing guitar for about 6 or 7 years but I fancied a change so I bought my first bass (Epi Thunderbird). I was wondering if there's any common bad habits that people get into when they move from guitar to bass?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for easy songs to try and learn? (I mainly listen to bands like Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine etc.) Any song/technique suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers!

• Members

Any Booker T and the MG'S (Greatest Hits), James Brown, and blues will become extremely valuable lessons, no matter what genre you play. Blues is the foundation for rock & roll as we know it and you will be amazed at the doors it will open musically ones you get the different styles under your belt.

• Members

The main thing to remember is that bass is a completely different animal to guitar and has to be approached differently, both physically and mentally. Get a metronome or drum machine and use it when practicing. Also learn the different technique involved in playing bass. There are lots of video clips of this on You Tube.

Good luck with it. :)

• Moderators

Hi guys, I've been playing guitar for about 6 or 7 years but I fancied a change so I bought my first bass (Epi Thunderbird). I was wondering if there's any common bad habits that people get into when they move from guitar to bass?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for easy songs to try and learn? (I mainly listen to bands like Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine etc.) Any song/technique suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers!

The number one mistake I hear guitarists turned bassists make is they still listen to and follow the guitarist as their most important musical cue in a band context when as a bassist you must be locked in with the drummer. As a bassist you will learn that the rhythm section (most particularly the bass and drums) can lock in to form a solid interplay that creates a foundation for the other instruments to play in, on and around. Use the bass to form the musical base. Give the other instruments something to play off of. That can mean staying out of the way, that can mean focusing on playing harmonically, etc. Create a musical space that compliments and enhances the other players voices.

• Members

The number one mistake I hear guitarists turned bassists make is they still listen to and follow the guitarist as their most important musical cue in a band context when
as a bassist you must be locked in with the drummer
. As a bassist you will learn that the rhythm section (most particularly the bass and drums) can lock in to form a solid interplay that creates a foundation for the other instruments to play in, on and around. Use the bass to form the musical base. Give the other instruments something to play off of. That can mean staying out of the way, that can mean focusing on playing harmonically, etc. Create a musical space that compliments and enhances the other players voices.

Cheers, thats great advice. I've learnt a few fairly simple bass lines so far, I just need to get used to finger picking as I very rarely use it on guitar. I've got loads of drum loops so I guess the sooner I start playing along with those the better really.

• Members

Cheers, thats great advice. I've learnt a few fairly simple bass lines so far, I just need to get used to finger picking as I very rarely use it on guitar. I've got loads of drum loops so I guess the sooner I start playing along with those the better really.

Watch other bass players for a while and use what you see them do.

And welcome to the Bilge.

• Members

The number one mistake I hear guitarists turned bassists make is they still listen to and follow the guitarist as their most important musical cue in a band context when
as a bassist you must be locked in with the drummer
. As a bassist you will learn that the rhythm section (most particularly the bass and drums) can lock in to form a solid interplay that creates a foundation for the other instruments to play in, on and around. Use the bass to form the musical base. Give the other instruments something to play off of. That can mean staying out of the way, that can mean focusing on playing harmonically, etc. Create a musical space that compliments and enhances the other players voices.

YES!

Archived