The Double Bass Buyer's guide for Dummy's

funkadelic musicman

• Members

I'm a dummy when it comes to upright basses. Im in the market for one and I just have no idea what makes a good bass and what the variables even mean from a sound prospective.

ie; Origin - china, korea, etc.

Plywood vs. real wood

what are the sound characteristics of many commonly used types of wood?

can anyone just give me a dummy's guide through double bass gear, or give me a link to a site that explains these things?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

All kinds of snobs and slobs will tell you all kinds of things. Your best bet is to just play a bunch and make up your own mind.

True, but there are very valid reasons for a lot of the 'snobs' opinions. For someone using an upright soley with a pickup amped, there will be different degree's of what's important in it's construction/woods than someone looking at it as an acoustic instrument, if you follow me. I personally don't really mind too much if it's solid or plywood, mass produced or hand carved, but in nearly all cases of the uprights I've played, and I've played a lot of them over the years, the only ones worth owning happend to be carved solid wood basses. The rest were mostly garbage, and occasional ok examples. But, my purposes were for playing in orchestra's and symphony's, not miked up in a bar.

I would play one and evaluate it's tone and setup. How well does it resonate, how easy is it to get a good sound out of it? The best basses I've played nearly played themselves with loud, lucious bass tone. The worst took a TON of effort to sound well, if they could at all. Is the setup playable and consistent? Are there any cracks in the seams, any seperations visible? Are there any abnormal rattles or noises when it's being played? Are the tuners hearty enough and stable? Is the bridge straight and not warping, the tailpiece solidly attached? Lots of this stuff can be resolved by a competent luthier (who will become your next best friend with an upright), but if the wood and construction just doesn't have the tone, it never will. I wouldn't ever buy before playing an upright, no matter what price point it is, since you can't ever know if one has the magic or not until you play it, and even with two identical factory basses, the difference between them can be staggaring. But then again, I might be an upright snob...;)

• Members

I wouldn't ever buy before playing an upright, no matter what price point it is, since you can't ever know if one has the magic or not until you play it, and even with two identical factory basses, the difference between them can be staggering.

We agree 100%.

You are a bass snob ;) and I am a bass slob. I don't care if it was made out of cardboard and horse hooves and built by festering rats in a dungeon. If it sounds good and feels good, I'll play it. :D

Archived