Gothic Punk

SunofNothing

• Members

Yo. I'm trying out soon for a punkish type band. Think early AFI, all hallows EP type stuff. Anyway the guys i've been emailing are super rad, and i really want to be in this band. What kind of stuff (techniques, theory, etc) should i go over to help me shine?

• Members

I love AFI, and as weird as this will sound, if you want to get his style down, you should also listen to some Rise Against. They are both big influences on me, and I see much similarity in the way they approach their lines, especially their fills.

• Members

yeah, but All Hallows EP definitely isn't "early" AFI. Also, early AFI was nothing close to "gothic punk".

This is true. As I sit here in my East Bay Hardcore shirt. :lol:

It wasn't until Jade joined that they started really taking that change in directions.

• Members

thanks for the great advice everybody. The next couple of days ill be learning some punk songs. I've already started playing faster (with a metronome, of course) playing with a pick, and got my distortion/OD pedals out.

now for some stupid questions.

Can anybody recommend certain songs to help me with my punk chops?

Any pick techniques i should know?

In a punk type song what exactly is my role?

How can i connect best with the drummer?

Any advice for fills?

What notes should i focus on?

How can i get that famous choppy punk type sounds? Tell me more about rests and how to get a catchy bassline that enforces the song.

• Members

Just play, dude... For real, you'll find your space. Half the joy of playing punk rock is that it's easy, you can be drunk, and you can {censored} up and it doesn't really matter. If you're under 21, sorry... When you turn 21 you can be drunk.

As far as players go, if you're looking for technical guys... Mike Watt, Karl Alvarez, Klaus Fluoride, Rob Wright, Matt Freeman, Andy Flag... Yeah, just play I guess.

• Members

The stuff i'm thinking of is 1999. They formed in 1991 according to wikipedia.

Yes to Ren, and I wouldn't ever consider early AFI as gothic anything. They were pure punk when they first started. I was shocked when I went to see AFI and Sick of it All in 2000 when AFI were all {censored}ing black and ghey with more eyeliner than {censored}ing Vegas showgirl. What a shame, they had such potential.

Dan

• Members

Yes to Ren, and I wouldn't ever consider early AFI as gothic anything. They were pure punk when they first started. I was shocked when I went to see AFI and Sick of it All in 2000 when AFI were all {censored}ing black and ghey with more eyeliner than {censored}ing Vegas showgirl. What a shame, they had such potential.

Dan

Saw AFI w/ Anti Flag opening in 1996. It was good. Never saw either of those bands after that, but still dig both of them... Even if they're different. Things change, right? I sure as hell don't listen to the same music I listened to in 1996.

• Members

No I don't blame them, they obviously got into what they got into. But I think they kicked ass when they first started in the early 90's. Now I can't really listen to them. The dude is so limited vocally and to hear him sing is like being poked in ears with a hot knife:D

• Members

Just play, dude... For real, you'll find your space. Half the joy of playing punk rock is that it's easy, you can be drunk, and you can {censored} up and it doesn't really matter. If you're under 21, sorry... When you turn 21 you can be drunk.

As far as players go, if you're looking for technical guys... Mike Watt, Karl Alvarez, Klaus Fluoride, Rob Wright, Matt Freeman, Andy Flag... Yeah, just play I guess.

Great list. I'll add Mike Dirnt (Green DAy), Hunter (AFI) and Joe Principe (Rise Against) to that list. All seriously good punk bassists, despite commercial success.

If you bone up on these guys you are going to get a feel for what a really good punk bassist is all about. And it is definitely not about just following the guitarist around like most metal dudes do. Many punk guys do and that's just fine. You sound like you don't want to be one of them, want to go to the next level, so seriously... invest some listening time into these dudes. I'll check back in later when I have some time and drop some specific songs on you too.

• Members

thanks for the great advice everybody. The next couple of days ill be learning some punk songs. I've already started playing faster (with a metronome, of course) playing with a pick, and got my distortion/OD pedals out.

now for some stupid questions.

Can anybody recommend certain songs to help me with my punk chops?

Any advice for fills?

What notes should i focus on?

How can i get that famous choppy punk type sounds? Tell me more about rests and how to get a catchy bassline that enforces the song.

1. Learn that AFI stuff...All Hallows, Art Of Drowing, Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes. Also, for that style, check out the Bouncing Souls...particularly How I spent My Summer Vacation and Anchors Aweigh.

2. Relax, dig in, let it roll.

3. Depends on the punk song, but your job is to drive it, usually. Just like with any band, lock in with the drummer and the rhythm guitars. There's no blueprint for it, really. Some punk bassists never stop with the fills, some barely move off the root.

4. Feel the kick drum up your ass, let it pour out of your picking arm. That's how I always did it. :lol:

5. 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, octaves...just keep it moving!!

6. see above, I guess.

7. I *think* the sound you're thinking of is a Fender Jazz bass into an Ampeg SVT of some sort. Big and ballsy, cuts through you like a knife. Again, though, there really is no "punk" bass sound. Just find something you like and drive it.

• Members

5. 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, octaves...just keep it moving!!

This.

I learned to mimic Mike Curtis and found that 3rd-5th-7th-octave stuff can sound complicated, but is really pretty simple. Should be the style that you're looking for.

I'd hold off on trying to learn Karl Alvarez stuff for now... he's {censored}in crazy.

• Members

i havent really heard much AFI, i got turned off but um....crap cant remember what it was called :lol: something within the past few year....black something. i dunno. the only stuff ive heard that i liked was Totalimmortal and their cover of Hanging Garden. guess ill have to check out the early stuff.

• Members

i havent really heard much AFI, i got turned off but um....crap cant remember what it was called
:lol:
something within the past few year....black something. i dunno. the only stuff ive heard that i liked was Totalimmortal and their cover of Hanging Garden. guess ill have to check out the early stuff.

I can make some suggestions to you if you like. They've been a long time fav of mine, easily a decade or more now. I really like the new stuff too, but it is very different. They grew up and I grew up with them so to me it's a natural progression, but I do see how some would be easily turned off by it.

• Members

- picking your nose while still managing to look like your playing

- stand there looking like a drunken badass and swear at the audience then kick some one in the head to start a bar brawl

- with your boot up his ass

it worked for Sid :idk::lol::D

• Members

This.

I learned to mimic
Mike Curtis
and found that 3rd-5th-7th-octave stuff can sound complicated, but is really pretty simple. Should be the style that you're looking for.

I'd hold off on trying to learn Karl Alvarez stuff for now... he's {censored}in crazy.

And be very selective on the Matt Freeman. Don't take our suggestions, look up Rancid and then try and pull off Maxwell Murder thinking that's what you need to do. It is, but not for a few years. :D

• Members

I can make some suggestions to you if you like. They've been a long time fav of mine, easily a decade or more now. I really like the new stuff too, but it is very different. They grew up and I grew up with them so to me it's a natural progression, but I do see how some would be easily turned off by it.

Is she thinking of Black Sails In The Sunset? That's another really good one.

+1 to everything you said here about their progression as a band and my appreciation of them.

• Members

Is she thinking of Black Sails In The Sunset? That's another really good one.

+1 to everything you said here about their progression as a band and my appreciation of them.

My guess was either DecemberUnderground or Sing The Sorrow. The more modern sounding albums where they became more commercial. Dark covers or imagery, but not specifically with the word Black in it. There's something wrong with that girl if she doesn't like Black Sails In The Sunset. :poke:

• Members

im thinking the word parade was in there somewhere but im not sure

And then there's THAT. :mad:

Deep inside I feared you were going to say that but was in denial. You are thining of My Chemical Romance, The Black Parade. Wrong band. VERY wrong band. :facepalm:

Archived