Flt. 93 used for gov. land grab

lug

• Members

The actual exact spot of the crash, I don't think anyone would suggest shouldn't be justifiably condemned for a memorial.

I would suggest that the exact spot can be grabbed...IF the government is willing to compensate the original land owner at something like triple the value. Keeps that slippery slope nice and dry.

• Members

So you think it's acceptable. me to.

But certainly not the amount of land the government is going for here. That's just abusive. Eminent Domain is a neccesary part of government but lately it's been quite abused, especially in the recent supreme court case where land was grabbed from private citizens to give to other private citizens for development to up the tax base. Worst decision by the court in many years. This case is on the fence. Important site? sure. Critical for good of society? kinda grey. And the handling of this particular case? Very poor.

• Members
If you'd like to provide some material to suggest otherwise you're free to do so.

The proof is looking at the sitch. If there were 500+ people a day visiting that site, don't you think that there would have been more noise made about it? If I owned that land, I'd either be yelling at the govt or setting myself up as a non-profit and collecting donations from visitors of the site. While I don't know the area, I'm guessing that there would be county roads that are in serious need of funding, the kind of need that a county simply can't afford to maintain. The event would also have been a cash cow for the town and you'd see "Flight 93" vendors on every corner -- keep in mind we're talking about a town of less than 250 people. Common sense says that those numbers are bogus.

• Members

I would suggest that the exact spot can be grabbed...
IF
the government is willing to compensate the original land owner at something like triple the value. Keeps that slippery slope nice and dry.

And, the land is now the hottest ticket in America, seeing as how it attracts 500+ visitors a day. We're talking millions per acre here at minimum. How this has eluded corporate interest is beyond me.

• Members

And all your comments are speculation based on greed.

"Woo hoo, heroes died in my field. *cha ching*!"

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I'll trust the national parks officers.

Like it or not, it's how the country works. And I'll trust evidence of the hunt for the almighty dollar, I've found it to be much more accurate than govt stats.

And none of those pics indicate that there are 500+ people visiting there a day, they seem to indicate otherwise.

• Members

I'll trust evidence of the hunt for the almighty dollar, I've found it to be much more accurate than govt stats.

You have no evidence. You have no idea how much, or how little, industry exists in that town. You are completely speculating.

You made a weak assumption, were given data showing that you were wrong, and are now grasping at straws to try and look "not wrong" and making yourself look bad in the process.

• Members

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can see a small memorial site. But having such a site doesn't make the people MORE heroic. And not having a memorial doesn't make them less so.

If you truly want to remember them, make 9/11 a government holiday or establish a college fund, or give 'em a stamp.

Americans died protecting this country, now you want to insult their sacrifice by violating the laws they died defending?

Nice.

Government asshats.

• Members

But certainly not the amount of land the government is going for here. That's just abusive. Eminent Domain
is
a neccesary part of government but lately it's been quite abused, especially in the recent supreme court case where land was grabbed from private citizens to give to
other
private citizens for development to up the tax base. Worst decision by the court in many years. This case is on the fence. Important site? sure. Critical for good of society? kinda grey. And the handling of this particular case? Very poor.

Exactly. Eminent domain is meant for things like highways which benefit everyone, not memorials. This memorial would bring shame to the heroic victims if the property were to be confiscated for this purpose, which is just a jobs program in disguise.

Here in Chicago, Mayor Daley has bought off all the right politicians to expand the airport in a way the Airlines don't agree with. He'll be diggin up graves, taking peoples homes and destroying businesses in the process.

Another great story is the democrats are talking about bailing out various major newspapers. As if they don't own them already, now the papers will have serious vested interest in getting democrats re-elected in order to stay afloat. Investigative journalism be damned, let's write about the swine flu, Obama's cheeseburgers and Michelle's shoes.

That GOD for the internet. It's juts a matter of time before the Commies crack down on us bloggers.

• Members
You have no evidence. You have no idea how much, or how little, industry exists in that town. You are completely speculating.

Dude, there's not even a fast food place in Shanksville (I checked for McDonald's, BK and Taco Bell/Pizza Hut). Think about it logically, there is simply no evidence that 500+ out of towners go through that town every day. Sure, there's a number that's put out by the govt....who has an agenda, but that's it, and I'm calling the govt's number bogus. If the records reflected that only 5000 people visited, how difficult do you think it'd be to get a $30mil memorial built? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the memorial wasn't part of the stimulus package. If there were that many visitors (182,500 annually), there would be a mechanism to accommodate them, there's not. If there was such a huge financial opportunity there, don't you think that someone would have jumped on it?

Archived