Flt. 93 used for gov. land grab

lug

• Members

Inexcusable. I know the Supreme Court has ruled that the gov't can do this, even for the benefit of private development, but it still isn't right. Building a memorial isn't a public good. I bet the people that currently own the land are gonna get the shaft price-wise as well.

• Members

You know, I realize it makes me sound crazy, but I have to say that if the government "condemned" my land because they wanted to use it to put in a park, they'd better bring the freaking National Guard when it comes time to get me off of it. Blatant misuse of power. This sort of thing just makes me mad.

• Members

You know, I realize it makes me sound crazy, but I have to say that if the government "condemned" my land because they wanted to use it to put in a park, they'd better bring the freaking National Guard when it comes time to get me off of it. Blatant misuse of power. This sort of thing just makes me mad.

Nope, not crazy, I feel the exact same way.

• CMS Author

Reading that article, if you remove the obvious slant, there's plenty to question the landowners as well. This was land that was worth very little until 11 Sept., 2001. At least one of the owners was planning to donate the land, but I'm reading that agreements couldn't be reached, which tells me either the gov't was offering very little, or the landowners were being greedy. Again considering what that land was originally worth, I have to question what they were demanding as payment before passing judgement.

• Members

Reading that article, if you remove the obvious slant, there's plenty to question the landowners as well. This was land that was worth very little until 11 Sept., 2001. At least one of the owners was planning to donate the land, but I'm reading that agreements couldn't be reached, which tells me either the gov't was offering very little, or the landowners were being greedy. Again considering what that land was originally worth, I have to question what they were demanding as payment before passing judgement.

The value of the land has little if anything to do with it. It's the idea that the govt is going to take possession of somebody's land to erect a memorial that I'm guessing very few people even want. What about WTC or the Pentagon? Why don't they move the Pentagon to erect a 2200 acre memorial?

• Members

The value of the land has little if anything to do with it. It's the idea that the govt is going to take possession of somebody's land to erect a memorial that I'm guessing very few people even want. What about WTC or the Pentagon? Why don't they move the Pentagon to erect a 2200 acre memorial?

Exactly!

• Members

yeah, why
would anyone want to visit that stupid thing
. Pfft....hereos. Who needs 'em.

I'm sure that you would agree that "because a lot of people want it" is pretty piss poor justification. Wait...what the hell am I saying, a lot of people want to tax the evil rich people out of their money in the new America to pay for "what the people need"...YIIPEE!

:D

• Members

No comment on the justification. As Craig V says, not enough info to do so.

Don't need no info...even if every man, woman, and child in the US wanted my land, they'd still have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of my keyboard, bitching on online forums like there's no tomorrow! :mad:

• Members
Don't need no info...even if every man, woman, and child in the US wanted my land, they'd
still
have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of my keyboard, bitching on online forums like there's no tomorrow!
:mad:

Not to worry, you can trust us to use your land better than you could. See, we've got this, memorial thing all planned out -- here's the real plus, we're going to make it in the shape of an Islamic symbol! :idea:

• Members

Don't need no info...even if every man, woman, and child in the US wanted my land, they'd
still
have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of my keyboard, bitching on online forums like there's no tomorrow!
:mad:

In principle, I agree with you. However, this was the site of an American tragedy where some incredibly brave people courageously gave their own lives to save others. The actual exact spot of the crash, I don't think anyone would suggest shouldn't be justifiably condemned for a memorial. The details of how much, and for what price are just the details we don't know yet.

• Members
Let's see....from the article:

"The NPS began counting visitors on Memorial Day weekend of 2003."

So that would be....none.

It's clearly not something "very few people" even want.

I seriously question their numbers -- that's over 500 people a day if my math is correct. If it was that big of an attraction, there'd be serious money being made off of it in the form of a "Flight 93" museum in Shanksville, complete with a "Let's Roll" burger and "Twin Tower Fries".

• Members

I seriously question their numbers -- that's over 500 people a day if my math is correct.

If you'd like to provide some material to suggest otherwise you're free to do so.

Even half that many is, again, clearly not "very few people", as you suggested earlier.

Archived