I'm no Dream Theatre fan

T. Alan Smith

• Members

Glad to hear that. I've been kind of looking forward to this album. I'm not a DT fan either, but when they're good they're great, when they're not they are kind of boring. The couple disc's I have are very entertaining though mostly.

• Members

I really like their older stuff a lot...some of my favorite albums. Their newer stuff though, I don't much care for it. Their last album was much better than the previous few, so I've got hopes for this new album to be as decent or better.

Petrucci will always be my favorite guitarist.

Myung is a great bass player.

Rudess is a great pianist.

LaBrie is a good singer, but his voice just makes him sound like a total {censored} over the past few albums...I'm not a fan.

Portnoy is a joke. He used to be great. Then he did the same thing over and over and over again. It's old. His kit is ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous. His ego is out of control. I can go on, but I won't...

• Members

I will- I never saw a rock drummer get so much time on a video.
:facepalm::D

The guy is basically in charge of the whole band. Between him and Petrucci, nobody else gets to really write anything. They do all the producing too, and I think that's a big reason why Myung got the shaft so many times before.

I'm not even sure why they have LaBrie in the band. The guy doesn't write any lyrics these days as far as I understand. They just have him there to sing. Seems to me like there are guys out there with better voices if they're only there for a voice in the first place.

I used to love the band. I've lost so much respect for them over this past decade though. It's really pretty sad.

• Members

The guy is basically in charge of the whole band. Between him and Petrucci, nobody else gets to really write anything. They do all the producing too, and I think that's a big reason why Myung got the shaft so many times before.

I'm not even sure why they have LaBrie in the band. The guy doesn't write any lyrics these days as far as I understand. They just have him there to sing. Seems to me like there are guys out there with better voices if they're only there for a voice in the first place.

I used to love the band. I've lost so much respect for them over this past decade though. It's really pretty sad.

You've given me an idea.

Adam Lambert + Dream Theater!

• Members

That, and I guess you could say that he's a pretty ok drummer as well. :thu:

• Members

Their playing (from a technical point of view) is ridiculous, but as time has passed I think they have gotten a little to aware of that, because I think their music is a little too "sterile", it's got no soul, no heart, and therefore they get very little airtime with me. A couple of songs are ginormously great, but that's a precious few...

• Members

That, and I guess you could say that he's a pretty ok drummer as well.
:thu:

He's an excellent technically proficient drummer. :thu:

I'm just not a fan of his anymore I guess.

His stage routine is also humerus to watch. I can't tell you how many times during a show he'll pop his stick against his snare and make it go flying in the air, then he'll try to catch it...kinda like an updated version of the stick twirl. I've never seen him actually catch it though. It usually goes flying 10' in the air, then lands somewhere in front of his kit. One gig in CT he nearly knocked over his drums trying to catch it. He still dropped it...

• Members

I neither hate nor love them. I respect them for what they do and think they're awesome musicians...but I'd rather hear Fates Warning.
;)

Maybe give Office of Strategic Influence (OSI) a spin? It's Mike Portnoy, Kevin Moore, & John Malone/Joey Vera on bass.

• Members

I just find them utterly boring. Perfect execution with no intention behind it. Poor songwriting too, very often. They just don't speak to me.

When it comes to prog metal, give me Spinal Architect or more recently, Blotted Science any day.

• Members

Maybe give Office of Strategic Influence (OSI) a spin? It's Mike Portnoy, Kevin Moore, & John Malone/Joey Vera on bass.

+!

The new album, Blood, just came out too. Oh, and Portnoy was just a guest player on the last album. Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree drums on the new album.

• Members

Myung has been a huge influence on me so I'm always interested in what he does.

I enjoy the others' playing, but the lyrics have sucked since Kevin Moore left the band. LaBrie just gave up trying to contribute anything. It's basically Petrucci and Portnoy running the show, and Portnoy's ego is indeed completely smothering everything. Sure, he's technically great... but blah.

Awake, Images and Words... those two albums are the bomb for me.

Archived