Need a budget 4X10

Mr.Mow

• Members

The guy I'm playing for needs me to supply my own amp (he supplies a nice Ric for me though).. I have a 500w head and a nice 2X10 for home use, but the cab is not suitable for what I need (and its gonna get left in his van).

Its just pop/rock kinda stuff, I really don't want to spend mega bucks for this, its gonna get bounced around and generally not looked after.. In the price range I was thinking are an Ashdown, a GK Backline, a Hartke and (god forbid) the Behringer..

Things like Eden, Acme etc are just too expensive for what I'm looking for.. As long as it will hold up to abuse and sound ok.. thats enough.. (his previous bass player used a Behringer and he was fine with the sound.. so...)

• Members

For the price of a mid-range 4x10 (400-500 bucks) you can get a lot more speaker nowadays.

The 10" drivers almost everyone uses are flat out garbage and the few brands that make good {censored} are close to a grand, generally. Avatar is about the only budget 4x10 I would consider, and the super expensive ones (Mesa, Aguilar, Berg, etc) are not all that much superior to those -- still 4 speakers in a box with weak off-axis response, drastically overstated power handling, and so on.

The *ONLY* 4x10 I would recommend in the 200-300$ price range you are discussing is a Peavey TVX or a Peavey Tour 4x10 - both can be had for that used.

I have no idea how things are down under for used gear, but Behringer/Ashdown Mag/Backline are flat out junk speakers. Not worth spending dollars on imho.

• Members

One sweet thing I have seen done lately is picking up larger old used 1x15 cabs (Such as Peavey BW cabs, Mesa Powerhouse/Diesel) with blown 15s, and stuffing a Kappalite 3015 in there. Makes a damn fine cabinet, super loud with solid power handling sufficient for almost anything a 4-string can throw. You can do that for around 250, and it'll be louder than a Backline 4x10.

• Members

For the price of a mid-range 4x10 (400-500 bucks) you can get a lot more speaker nowadays.

The 10" drivers almost everyone uses are flat out garbage and the few brands that make good {censored} are close to a grand, generally. Avatar is about the only budget 4x10 I would consider, and the super expensive ones (Mesa, Aguilar, Berg, etc) are not all that much superior to those -- still 4 speakers in a box with weak off-axis response, drastically overstated power handling, and so on.

The *ONLY* 4x10 I would recommend in the 200-300$ price range you are discussing is a Peavey TVX or a Peavey Tour 4x10 - both can be had for that used.

I have no idea how things are down under for used gear, but Behringer/Ashdown Mag/Backline are flat out junk speakers. Not worth spending dollars on imho.

Avatars are expensive here unfortunately, I was quite interested in them.. but..

• Members

If you have a quality 2X10 - it might surprise you and be louder and cut through better than a junk 4X10.

What about getting another really strong 2x10 and stacking them?

I usually put a 2x10 right behind the drummer's head!
:lol:

Mainly cos I need to leave them with the guy, floating around in the back of his van (which parks in a dodgy street) or in his garage.. don't really want too much invested.

• Members

Mainly cos I need to leave them with the guy, floating around in the back of his van (which parks in a dodgy street) or in his garage.. don't really want too much invested.

Oh. That kinda smells. I mean you have to drop $300+ on a 4x10 and it also must ride around in a van?

Maybe I don't know the details. How to help?

• Members

Did a bit more poking around today..

Acme, very expensive here, don't seem to be available anymore..

Avatar, even more expensive (like $1400+, imported by a 4WD store)

Ashdown MAG $600

Behringer $450.. the cheapest..

Fender Bassman 410 $750 (none in stock..)

Eden Nemesis $800

Peavey.. no one seems to carry them any more?

Archived