Short Scale Basses For Maximum Thump

lowendnyc

• Members

Howdy. I'm looking for some new sounds and have been thinking about buying a short scale bass equipped with flat wounds to get some muddy old school thump.

To that end, I've been weighing Epiphone's EB-O and Viola basses. Any thoughts on the merits of either instrument, or do you have a suggestion about other options? I'm looking to keep the purchase on the cheaper side of the ledger, as this is an experiment for me. Thanks.

• Members

Howdy. I'm looking for some new sounds and have been thinking about buying a short scale bass equipped with flat wounds to get some muddy old school thump.

To that end, I've been weighing Epiphone's EB-O and Viola basses. Any thoughts on the merits of either instrument, or do you have a suggestion about other options? I'm looking to keep the purchase on the cheaper side of the ledger, as this is an experiment for me. Thanks.

The Epi EB-0 will definately have some mud and thump.

EDIT:

And I do like the Epi EB-0, its pretty solid. I want the Gibson EB-3, but I have not the funds right now (especially since I am purchasing a bass as we speak)

• Members

I'm a big fan of most things Fender so I will reccomend the Mustang. They have a nice growl, reminiscent of a Precision although are a somewhat more mid-range focused.

Gibson EB-O basses are well-crafted and beautiful but posses a limited tone. Even more so than the 'stang. I also don't like the headstock angling back, but that's a person preference.

• Members

I own & used to play a Fender Mustang and it's a great short scale bass.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G2202-Electromatic-Junior-Jet-Bass?sku=514192&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

If that's(the Mustang) a little pricey you might be pleasantly surprised at how good one of these sounds with a good set of flatwounds on it (especially if you have a pretty good amp to play it thru).

Archived