Can I use a 8ohm cab with a 4 ohm head?

BASSDAD

• Members

SS/Hybrid head: OK. you can go above the rating, but not below (safely).

all tube head: i'd say no. i've always been told (and also from my own experience) that you're generally better off to stay exactly matched between head and cab.

YMMV

• Members

all tube head: i'd say no. i've always been told (and also from my own experience) that you're generally better off to stay exactly matched between head and cab.

YMMV

His head says "minimum load" or something to that effect. That makes me thnk he's ok with anything down to 4.

• Members

YMMV

Which is why most good-quality all-tube heads either have load switches or multiple load outputs.

• Members

Thanks all. it's a solid state AH500-7.

It's all coming back to me now.......MinimumLoad: 4ohms ....I'm looking at a 8 and 4 ohm cab for it on CL. So either cab would work the 8 ohm having less volume. But I could add another 8ohm cab and drop down to 4ohms while moving more air....?

OK. I think I got it folks.

Thanks!

• Members

Thanks all. it's a solid state AH500-7.

It's all coming back to me now.......MinimumLoad: 4ohms ....I'm looking at a 8 and 4 ohm cab for it on CL. So either cab would work the 8 ohm having less volume. But I could add another 8ohm cab and drop down to 4ohms while moving more air....?

OK. I think I got it folks.

Thanks!

Yes, you have it correctly.

Archived