strap lock failure

jonathan_matos5

• Members

These Schallers suck:

464856.jpg

They can cause the screws in the body to loosen because of the way they are designed. I'm constantly having to add toothpicks and glue to keep the screws in the bodies.

These Dunlops are better because they have ball bearings in the posts that won't unscrew the body screws. They are a little harder to install IMO.

248161.jpg

• Members

These Schallers suck:

464856.jpg

They can cause the screws in the body to loosen because of the way they are designed. I'm constantly having to add toothpicks and glue to keep the screws in the bodies.

These Dunlops are better because they have ball bearings in the posts that won't unscrew the body screws. They are a little harder to install IMO.

248161.jpg

the problem i had with the schallers was the strap-side stuff coming undone. loctite didn't work. i like that the dunlops have an e-clip to hold things together instead of threads.

but i picked up the dimarzio clip-lock strap a while ago, and am a fan.

• Members

I've found the trick to the Schallers is keeping them tight. Checking to see if they are trying to loosen is part of my normal pre-gig maintenance. I carry a small screwdriver in the case (actually a Swiss Army Tinker) and keep them tight. Have had the same set in the same Fender bass for about 8 years now and have not had to add a toothpick or Loctite or anything else.

Like any other screw-in application a lose screw reams out the hole causing trouble.

• Members

I use schallers. I have had to enlarge the hole in the button, and turn down the screw head diameter to use the screws that came on the guitar. The ones (screws) that come with the pack have been shorter and smaller in diameter than the stock screw that came with the guitar. There is no way I will put a smaller or shorter screw in my guitar.

• Members

I've never had a Schaller fail me - using them sucessfully isn't exactly rocket science, and has been discussed here many times...

- georgestrings

Using them isn't hard... it's just obnoxious to have to retighten the screw holding the strap button to the guitar every 10 minutes. That's why i moved to dunlops. If you've found a way to semi-permanently attach the strap button to the guitar please do tell...:confused:

• Members

Using them isn't hard... it's just obnoxious to have to retighten the screw holding the strap button to the guitar every 10 minutes. That's why i moved to dunlops. If you've found a way to semi-permanently attach the strap button to the guitar please do tell...
:confused:

No prob - lately, I've been using a spot of Gorilla glue on the threads before running the screw in, with excellent results... Before that, I used whatever epoxy I had laying around, and didn't have any problems - as long as the screw was a tight fit into the hole to begin with...

- georgestrings

• Members

These Schallers suck:

464856.jpg

248161.jpg

ITA...I got a set of Dunlops on one bass and a set of Schallers on another...the Schaller's kept coming undone...you sometime pull on it and it comes out. AND yes they made the hole bigger in the body of one of my basses...:mad:

The Dunlops are the best ones!! I have NEVER had them come undone on me!!

• Members

No prob - lately, I've been using a spot of Gorilla glue on the threads before running the screw in, with excellent results... Before that, I used whatever epoxy I had laying around, and didn't have any problems - as long as the screw was a tight fit into the hole to begin with...

- georgestrings

I use a dab of wood glue when I install my Dunlops. It has worked so far...

• Members

I use schallers. I have had to enlarge the hole in the button, and turn down the screw head diameter to use the screws that came on the guitar. The ones (screws) that come with the pack have been shorter and smaller in diameter than the stock screw that came with the guitar. There is no way I will put a smaller or shorter screw in my guitar.

Precisely what I had done.

First off, the screws involved. This shows you flat-out that the button screws provided by Schaller are INFERIOR. It's a #6 screw, 1" long. They are sized to fit their button, but not sized to be a sturdy anchor. If this supplied screw were tightened into a soft wood, I wouldn't trust it on a stage. But in maple or mahogany, you might get by. But for me, HELL NO. Why do something when you can overdo something?

screwsqa3.jpg

I simply chucked the SS screw into my drill with the threads inside, turned on my bench grinder, and slowly turned the screw head sideways against the wheel until the head shrunk enough to tuck snug into the Schaller buttons. So easy.

Also, the #8 screw threads will not simply slip through the Schaller buttons. So I needed to drill out the hole inside the buttons. Simple as hell, just wrapped it with electrical tape to protect the finish, chucked it in the bench vise, and drilled out the hole with a drill bit just slightly larger than the hole. I think the hole is 9/32" and I used a 3/16" drill bit. I think.

Putting my new buttons on with my stainless steel screws.

installingoh4.jpg

These screws went into maple. I'll be damned if I ever discover these buttons loosening up, cuz it took me a monumental effort to drive these screws in! Holy crap were my hands sore from the screwdriver. They're in for GOOD.

If you're putting these in soft woods like alder or ash or basswood, you better be pilot-hole drilling very carefully and putting the screw in with some wood glue. Then you'll be good.

And remember, the longer the screw, the better the hold. I used 1-1/2" screws, and they work great. If you're doing a soft wood body, then definitely look around for 2" screws for the best assurance you can get that it'll hold securely.

Everyone I know who's had Schallers OR Dunlops fail on them, used the stock screws provided and had softer woods in their guitar bodies.

• Members

It's been a few years since I installed my schallers, but IIRC, I just jammed a couple of tooth picks on the holes and used the stock screws.

They've yet to loosen on me at all.

Granted, I put them on a bass that I don't use very often (it's more of my "practice bass" that sits at my house.

I have done a good number of bass throws with it though, and so far so good.

I haven't had the strap assembly come apart yet either, but I did crank the crap out of them, so there should be a problem there either.

The only issue I recall having since installation was the strap I originally installed with them started tearing. (It was an old one anyway).

New strap: no problems yet.

• Members

screwsqa3.jpg

I'm glad you pointed out the hair.... hahahah.

I will admit, I've always been confused as ato why Schaller doesn't just supply a similar screw to what's already on your bass.

I've NEVER seen a bass where those schaller screws fit without some sort of modification.

Archived