Eb tuning

mikejcurtis

• Members

I just started in a new band. I've always liked the way my guitar sounds when I tune it to Eb ala SRV or Jimi, this new bass player I have though says he's never encountereed that before and if he tries to detune his bass to match me, he says the strings are too flabby and it looses the punch. My question is did Noel Redding and/or Tommy Shannon tune thier basses to Eb?

• Members

If he's getting his bass "unplayable" by just detuning half a step, something is amiss on his end.

I"m not sure if Noel did, but most if not all transcriptions I see from Tommy have him at least with his E string at Eb, with the other 3 standard, if not his whole bass half step down. Just tons easier w/ that open Eb and not having to fret 11th-E string or 6th-A string.

Some will disagree b/c we like to have pissing contests here, but yeah, he should be able to drop half a step and not effect anything major.

• Members

dude... i tune my 5 stringer to A or F#... that's respectively 1 and 2.5 steps down from an already very low B... now, that is tuning {censored}ing low... lower then 98% of the bass players will ever go... Eb? that is laughable. it's an almost unnoticable difference in tension and the punch will be unaltered unless his bass is a freakin' Harley Benton or something.

... so, to put it in very few words... you bass player is a freakin' wuss. kick him in the dick.

• Members

We got some fine women here! A lot of dorky college athlete types too. Makes for a great place for a handsome and dashing guitar player such as myself (JUST KIDDING about that last sentence!)

I'm going to stand my ground and tell hime to tune the hell down and let's get that heavy sound goin'!!!!

• Members

or use a 5 string and transpoae... what a concept!

Although I play a 5er quite a bit, I also have 4 strings set up for Eb - in my experience, an open Eb on a 4 string sounds better than a fretted Eb on a 5er... Plus, some songs are a real bastard to play on a 5er that way, and still sound good - while they're a slam dunk on a 4 string tuned down...

- georgestrings

• Members

Regarding the OP - dropping down a 4 string a half step to Eb tuning should be no trouble at all... I use GHS Boomer mediums, and it's no trouble at all - not at all floppy, either... He will have to make a minor truss rod adjustment, and set his intonation accordingly, to make things proper - but neither is a big deal...

- georgestrings

• Members

Regarding the OP - dropping down a 4 string a half step to Eb tuning should be no trouble at all... I use GHS Boomer mediums, and it's no trouble at all - not at all floppy, either... He will have to make a minor truss rod adjustment, and set his intonation accordingly, to make things proper - but neither is a big deal...

- georgestrings

Yeah, if even that. On my Mod I've gone from standard E to drop D to full Eb w/ no adjustments and no intonation issues. 'Course that's on a graphite neck, but still... ;)

• Members

Geez, it's only a 1/2 step down. It shouldn't be a problem unless something is screwy with his bass setup.

I tune my short scale to Eb and it rocks, so I'm not sure what your bass player is talking about. :confused:

• Members

I'm in the Eb club, myself, for a couple of reasons. First of all, it encourages me to sing a hair lower...stretch my range the other direction. Even the higher stuff, it kinda takes the ice off of the high notes. Secondly, I am a fairly light touch guitarist and I do like the feel. My bassist hasn't complained yet.

When I played bass as my main instrument, we usually played in standard, although we went down to drop D and it wasn't a problem. Well, it was aparently a problem for my guitarist to play real guitar chords. :lol:

If your bassist is like a lot of us, he may want to do a setup on his instrument and make sure it is intonated properly. But it really isn't that big of a deal.

Okay...until you go to learn a couple dozen covers that are in standard. That's kind of a PITA, if you ask me. But it's easier on the strings than it is on the vocalist, in my opinion.

• Members

no offense dude, but i'm guessing you aren't Jimi Hendrix or SRV

Jaco, man I thought you had passed away too?!? You don't need to get pissy miss God, I don't think I said I was Jimi or Stevie, I just said I like the way it sounds and I've written all of my songs in that tuning. I can do it in E, but it doesn't sounds as good and it's a bit harder to sing.

• Members

Jaco, man I thought you had passed away too?!? You don't need to get pissy miss God, I don't think I said I was Jimi or Stevie, I just said I like the way it sounds and I've written all of my songs in that tuning. I can do it in E, but it doesn't sounds as good and it's a bit harder to sing.

i'm just messin, buddy!

Archived