Would this work well? At all? (Cab building questions)

mlwarriner

• Members

mmmm.... "bright box"

Give me a week or two. I've been contemplating a bi-amping arrangement with a bright-box to carry the grind.

I'll choose my drivers this weekend and sketch up a wee cabinet.

Thanks all for the inspiration:thu:

for the sake of portability, i'm seriously considering adding four of the galaxy neo-mids to my existing 1x15 cab... just wire them to a separate jack and mark it as such.

• Members

for the sake of portability, i'm seriously considering adding four of the galaxy neo-mids to my existing 1x15 cab... just wire them to a separate jack and mark it as such.

Keep in mind that 4 galaxies will be very bright, but I guess you can adjust the level with the 800RB.

You can also just wire in a speakon 4 conductor jack. I'm not sure if your 800 has the 4 conductor output for bi-amping, but it's a good option.

You can wire the Galaxies in series/parallel and use a standard eminence two way 500 or 800 Hz crossover.

• Members

Keep in mind that 4 galaxies will be very bright, but I guess you can adjust the level with the 800RB.

You can also just wire in a speakon 4 conductor jack. I'm not sure if your 800 has the 4 conductor output for bi-amping, but it's a good option.

You can wire the Galaxies in series/parallel and use a standard eminence two way 500 or 800 Hz crossover.

the 800RB has 1/4" outs only. and a variable frequency and amount crossover system. i can change the point at which it crosses over, as well as how much volume they're getting.

• Moderators

I'd leave that 15 behind, since the 212 would give you tighter faster lows anyways. Then get a 210 cab with a tweeter in it, preferably sealed so you get very tight mids and highs.

I love me my 212/210 setup. Even got to compare straight-up side by side, a 115/210 right next to my 212/210, and the 12's give such a thicker, fuller low end.

If I were to use 15's again, it'd be a 215 cab with a tweeter and nothing else.

Faster lows? So, if I play a low E (41Hz) through 12"s, it'll come out faster? Like 42 or 43 Hz? Or do 12"s increase the speed of sound somehow? Please, tell me more!

• Members

Faster lows? So, if I play a low E (41Hz) through 12"s, it'll come out faster? Like 42 or 43 Hz? Or do 12"s increase the speed of sound somehow? Please, tell me more!

He's talking about the often repeated crap that the response time on 15s is noticeably slower - that is, you hit a note and there's a delay before it comes out. I think that's the idea anyway.

I forget who but someone explained the "sounds quicker' business pretty well that it's an artifact of equalization, right?

• Moderators

He's talking about the often repeated crap that the response time on 15s is noticeably slower - that is, you hit a note and there's a delay before it comes out. I think that's the idea anyway.

I forget who but someone explained the "sounds quicker' business pretty well that it's an artifact of equalization, right?

Yup. Strictly frequency response.

Archived