Recommend me a Bass Amp

denimboy

• Members

I need a bass amp with enough power to gig in small clubs. I'm looking for a classic Ampeg sound. The Ampeg BA300 2x10 seems a good option to me. I just don't know if its reliable. I've read they are cheaply made. May be a combo or head+4x10 cab. Used or New. My budget is 1000$. :wave:

• Members

I would imagine anything with some tubes would be a good start for the amp. Maybe a used SVT III? Not full-tube, but it does do the Ampeg thing.

For cabs, try Avatar. Affordable and all-around pretty nice. The 2x12 and 4x10 are both good cabs with enough volume for small gigs.

• Members

I need a bass amp with enough power to gig in small clubs. I'm looking for a classic Ampeg sound. The Ampeg BA300 2x10 seems a good option to me. I just don't know if its reliable. I've read they are cheaply made. May be a combo or head+4x10 cab. Used or New. My budget is 1000$.
:wave:

i used one of those ampeg 2X10 combos at a gig once in a small, rock band setup, keys guitar drums bass + full PA support, and it did not cut it. Not enough bass at medium levels.

i used an older american made ampeg B2R(about $500 new in 01) head, 350 watts @ 4 ohm, with a used swr 1X15 ($160)and a used genz benz 2X10. ($250) sounded great, it was plenty for most situations at $910.:thu:

• Members

I'd say a Peavey Tour 450 and a Peavey Tour 410 or an Avatar Neo 410.

That should be right around $1k and if you want it to sound like an ampeg, notch the top two EQ sliders and give it a 6 dB boost at 160 Hz.

Actually the Peavey Tour 450 at MF.com is going for 399.00, that plus an Avatar NEO comes in around 900 bucks delivered. Good deal.

An upgrade to the Peavey Tour 700 isn't much more either.

• Members

:D

I was waiting for it!

no behringer plug though? :poke:

I don't "plug" Behringers, I just fight those who pile on the hate for others who have had good experiences with them and can't afford GB's, Edens, and all the others expensive brands.

I just looked up the ACME Low B2 cab, they say 500w is ideal power for it. That's what the Carvin BX500 pumps out.

419.00 Carvin Hybrid (tube pre + SS amp)

569.00 Acme Low B-2

---------------------

988.00 for a compact, killer system.

That would be check + mate. ;)

• Members

I don't "plug" Behringers, I just fight those who pile on the hate for others who have had good experiences with them and can't afford GB's, Edens, and all the others expensive brands.

I just looked up the ACME Low B2 cab, they say 500w is ideal power for it. That's what the Carvin BX500 pumps out.

419.00 Carvin Hybrid (tube pre + SS amp)

569.00 Acme Low B-2

---------------------

988.00 for a compact, killer system.

That would be check + mate.
;)

Cool rig, fo' sho' ...but

I can't imagine Ampeg sound from it. :idk:

• Members

I need a bass amp with enough power to gig in small clubs. I'm looking for a classic Ampeg sound. The Ampeg BA300 2x10 seems a good option to me. I just don't know if its reliable. I've read they are cheaply made. May be a combo or head+4x10 cab. Used or New. My budget is 1000$.
:wave:

Not to be a smart-ass (but I can't help it), since you want a classic- Ampeg sound......how bout you get a classic Ampeg?

• Members

To get the real classic Ampeg sound, it ain't gonna happen for less than $1k.

To fake it with some other head so that no one will know the difference in a band setting, $1k is plenty.

Used V-4Bs aren't that expensive.

• Members

Used V-4Bs aren't that expensive.

They aren't that common, either. For a good one that is ready to reliably gig, it's going to cost no less than $600, if you can find one.

There is currently one on ebay with a cab for $1800 and none on craigslist.

Personally, if I was looking for a gig rig, I wouldn't go with a classic tube amp that I got on the cheap. Nothing wrong with gigging a tube head, but a nice, reliable one is not inexpensive.

As I said, any nice new solid state amp will get close enough so that no one will care once the guitars and drums are going.

• Members

Not to be a smart-ass (but I can't help it), since you want a classic- Ampeg sound......how bout you get a classic Ampeg?

For me, getting an amp with that classic Ampeg sound would mean getting a tube head, which is out of the question with his price range. ;)

Archived