Recommend me a Bass Amp

denimboy

• Members

They aren't that common, either. For a good one that is ready to reliably gig, it's going to cost no less than $600, if you can find one.

There is currently one on ebay with a cab for $1800 and none on craigslist.

Personally, if I was looking for a gig rig, I wouldn't go with a classic tube amp that I got on the cheap. Nothing wrong with gigging a tube head, but a nice, reliable one is not inexpensive.

As I said, any nice new solid state amp will get close enough so that no one will care once the guitars and drums are going.

I got a '71 V-4B for about $600. Works just fine too, even though it's biased a little hot. Sounds great overdriven too, which you can't really do with a SS amp.

You can get a good deal on good tube amps if you wait and watch and snatch them when you see them. That's what I did when I was looking for amps. I personally have no need for any new amps now. There's a cab shortage now...

Don't get me wrong, SS is cheaper and more accessible to buy. Although if you wait, you easily get a good tube amp for a more that reasonable price.

• Members

If someone is looking at getting a gig rig right now for $1k, then classic tube is pretty much off the table.

Besides, SS amp + decent overdrive pedal = close enough that no one will know.

I prefer reliability to authenticity.

• Members

Oh you card, you.

Meh, I'm a hack, but my gear is always 100% functional for every gig. I wouldn't want to depend on a 30+ year old tube amp for my gig rig unless I had the cash to get it serviced so that I didn't have to worry about it.

• Members

The RBI -> power amp is definitely one of the closest SVT approximations I've heard in a live setting, on the cheap.

If you go with one of the new DCM-L series, or a QSC PLX amp, it's also quite light - maybe 20-30lbs in a rack.

A Stewart or one of the nice Peavey 1u power amps would get it even lighter, but more expensive.

For a cabinet, I'd suggest a kappalite 3015 in a small box (3cf), possibly with a mid driver. Should get plenty loud enough for small clubs, and set you back 350-450, so all told you're out for under a grand.

Edit: Summary...

Sansamp RBI - rack mount (329.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tech-21-SansAmp-RBI-Rackmount-Bass-Tube-Amp-Emulator_W0QQitemZ260427859948QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca2b5c7ec&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Carvin DCM

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DCM1000 (349.99)

Carvin 4-space rack - (79.99)

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=RW4

Total: 760

Budget of 240 for a cabinet, woops! Pawn shops or Craigslist would win :)

• Members

Meh, I'm a hack, but my gear is always 100% functional for every gig. I wouldn't want to depend on a 30+ year old tube amp for my gig rig unless I had the cash to get it serviced so that I didn't have to worry about it.

My gear 100% functional too. Never had a problem with my tube amps except one that came with bad tubes. My SVT has GE tubes in it. I tell you man, those tubes are {censored} for reliability. Oh well, I guess I should start using SS amps so I don't have to replace some tubes every 3-5 of years, maybe.

If you don't like tube amps that's fine. Personally I don't care. But saying they're not reliable is humorous. I've had better luck with tube amps than I have with SS amps.

• Members

My gear 100% functional too. Never had a problem with my tube amps except one that came with bad tubes. My SVT has GE tubes in it. I tell you man, those tubes are {censored} for reliability. Oh well, I guess I should start using SS amps so I don't have to replace some tubes every 3-5 of years, maybe.

If you don't like tube amps that's fine. Personally I don't care. But saying they're not reliable is humorous. I've had better luck with tube amps than I have with SS amps.

i think his point is that if you go shopping for tube amps on a budget, you take a risk when it comes to reliability...which is pretty much true IMO

i had a v4b head a few years ago that randomly stopped working within the first 5 minutes of playing it...i tried for 6 months to get someone to fix it, with no luck; i ended up selling it for $150

• Members

Fine then he should just get the real McCoy, the 220 watt version (tube pre) of the Ampeg B115. A friend of mine has one and it does "classic" Ampeg plus it's powerful enough for most gigs. 500 bucks.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115HPT-1X15-100-Watt-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481723

Buy it at Guitar Center with a replacement warranty (extra 20-30 bucks).

• Members

I don't know of any all tube power amps for PA use.

PA != bass amp

PA's are for sound reenforcement(sometimes even called SRs), not creating part of an instruments final tone. Tubes are generally used for their "tone." Plus using tubes for real high power operations isn't most cost efficient.

So what's your point?

• Members

There are also stories like mine, I brought a 78 SVT(even through this forum) for 880 shipped. It works great. It depends.

And what kind of awesome speaker cab are you going to get for $120 even if you do manage to get a smokin deal on an SVT?

• Members

And what kind of awesome speaker cab are you going to get for $120 even if you do manage to get a smokin deal on an SVT?

I never recommended a SVT for the OP. I was just saying good deals on good tube amps exist.

• Members

Bingo. I never said that tube amps as a rule are unreliable. I said that an old tube amp that can be picked up for a song would not provide me with the warm and fuzzy feeling for gigging.

Oldivor, how many gigs a year do you play? If someone is planning on playing gigs in a working band where they need a solid amp every weekend that performs flawlessly, then less than $1k for an amp and a cab will not translate to vintage tube. Sorry.

I like tube amps just fine. I really like my '68 bassman, but it's getting rebuilt right now.

For my gig, I do prefer PAs to bass rigs, as I repeatedly stated in the thread that got closed for no good reason. For your gig, it wouldn't make mush sense.

Well, I might say you implied it but I won't.

I don't play out anymore. But I used to about once a week for a couple of years. Once I got a my V-4B I always used that when I did. It never failed on me once during a gig. Never even hinted it. I also got it around 600ish. In my case, I got a 71 V-4B and a Genz Benz cab for under 1K. Sounds and works good to me. One can get a tube amp and a cab in working order for under 1k. You just have to look for deals. In my case it DID translate into "vintage tube." Sorry.

• Members
  • Members

There are also stories like mine, I brought a 78 SVT(even through this forum) for 880 shipped. It works great. It depends.

There are horror stories for SS amps too.

when you can afford nearly a grand for a head like that, it's one thing...but if you're budget shopping then often times tube heads aren't the way to go (that's not to say you can't find a good deal and make out well...but it's probably not a great idea to depend on being able to do so)

it's a bit of a shame that so few companies offer tube bass heads these days, because there really isn't much of a selection out there if you're looking for a good deal...opposed to guitar heads where there's a ton of nice tube amps around to fit nearly any budget

i bought that v4b for $125!!! a co-worker had it sitting in his basement since the 80's untouched, he'd played in a punk band when he was younger...i was so excited to have it, up until i stopped working on me; it really stinks living in an area where there are NO good techs to work on stuff like that

• Members

Well, I might say you implied it but I won't.

I don't play out anymore. But I used to about once a week for a couple of years. Once I got a my V-4B I always used that when I did. It never failed on me once during a gig. Never even hinted it. I also got it around 600ish. In my case, I got a 71 V-4B and a Genz Benz cab for under 1K. Sounds and works good to me. One can get a tube amp and a cab in working order for under 1k. You just have to look for deals. In my case it DID translate into "vintage tube." Sorry.

You could say that I implied it, but you'd have to be illiterate since I clearly stated the following, "Nothing wrong with gigging a tube head, but a nice, reliable one is not inexpensive."

I'm never said that it is impossible to get a good reliable tube amp and quality speaker cab for under $1k. I will clearly state that it is really {censored}ing unlikely.

Rather than spend his entire budget rolling the dice on a tube head, he'd be better served to buy some new, quality made solid state stuff with a factory warranty. Or at least some used solid state stuff from a company like GB who will stand behind the product.

Archived