Powered sub sugestions?

Ender_rpm

• Members

Kinda tangenting off a closed thread from a couple weeks ago, I have been pondering buying a powered sub that could be easily integrated into any "speakers on poles" PA system. Ideally, this could be so I could use my B15 in a live setting :evil: but also to help out the kick drum and overall fullness of FOH sound. An old band used a single Mackie powered sub, and it worked pretty well, but I know there have to be more out there. Figure ~$1000-$1200 budget, ideally portable in a compact car, but a van is likely on the way soon, and a dolly cart is always available. Standard 3 piece rock band with 2 singers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Help me define sub, I'm a bass player, not a FOH guy :) Right now the PA is a pair of mackie 450s, with another one used as a wedge monitor. The bookings we are getting are for fairly small spaces (100-200 people, bars, outdoor patios, etc). I want to limit "stage" volume since it's a mostly acoustic act right now, but still throw enough bass to keep people dancing.

EDIT: And I just realized who asked :) No 39" scale basses for me thanks :)

• Moderators
Cool, thanks. Have you used these, or is it just based on size?

I had an LS700p at one point. Too heavy and not a true crossover circuit. The LS720p came out later. If size isn't the issue for you, the LS800p pounds harder. The reviews on the yorkville stuff are very good for quality/dependability. As for the RCF, I'd own it, but it was out of my price range and a bit heavier than what I was looking for. I also play smaller joints with the original stuff, so I went with db Technoligies Sub 12s. They are terrific and

• Members

Also, if you feel like driving down to the 757, I've got a 2x18 box that I built and am no longer using that I'd let you have for what the speakers cost. It's 36x36x18 and on casters.

Prolly abit too big for my applications, but thanks.

Thud- Goodinfo, and yeah, I'm googlin like a muv' now. Thanks!

• Members

No such thing as too big.

I've also got an Avatar B212 Delta that has worked really well as a sub in the past at small places. I ran that on the sub output of the crossover with 500 watts going to it and that did a really good job in some places.

• Members

No such thing as too big.

You need to see the postage stamps I get to play on!!! A buddies bass player stopped schlepping aournd a very nice Eden rig (WT500 and a 212/210 iirc) because it was too big for most of the stages in NoVA. Not power or output wise, just physically too big to fit with the drums and rest fo the band :facepalm:

• Members

Carvin also makes a powered one that looks darn nice.

Actually, I have two Carvin 18" powered subs. They're pretty decent. :) I run them under a pair of Peavey Impulse 1012 mains powered by a QSC PL236 amp and they keep up pretty well. For a small bar rig, they do just fine.

• Moderators

The LS700p has a surprisingly small footprint and the 210 setup has amazing punch. At 90 lbs or so, it's a bit cumbersome. If a rec is going to come in for the LS200p, then I guess the db Technologies Sub 12 is worth a look. I haven't had any issues with mine, and unlike the yorkie, it has a real built in crossover and XLR jacks. Price for one is

• 12" Active-subwoofer

• MT-Amp rated at 400 W/RMS

• Frequency Response - 40 - 150 Hz

• Maximum SPL: 127 dB

• Active stereo frequency softening - 24 dB/oct. @ 100 Hz

• 2 L&R Neutrik Combo input jacks

• 2 x XLR parallel output jacks

• 2 x XLR Crossed-over outputs

• Phase reverse switch

• Dynamic soft-clip limiter

• Weight: only 18.9 kg or 42lbs

• Dimentions: 20.5" X 14.2" X 19.7"
  • I'm concerned, though, about recommending the really small subs for their outdoor gigs, if they happen to be bigger than a small beer tent. If that's the case, a real crossover and an LS700p would be about as small as I'd go. The LS700p and the LS200p are really nice for a "speaker on stick" type of group where you just take the mains signal out and use them to add additional bottom to the sound.

• Members

I think Parts express sells amps for making your own powered speakers.

Hell yeah! Couple one of those plate amps to a B!ll F!tzmaur!ce designed box and you'll have a PA that will sound better than a JBL SRX rig for less than $100.

• Members

Oi... :facepalm:

The outside areas tend to be largeish covered patio bars, but I know we are looking ta booking bigger place once the rythm section tightens up (drummer has been doing hand percussion, but also has a very busy job, so we may be drummer shopping too)

• Members

JBL SRX??

Lulz.

I think we're talking about Meyer Sound territory right here, brosef!!
    :thu:
    :thu:

My bad. I was going to build a couple of Tub@ 24s and 0mni PA tops to compare them to Z-x's Meyer rig, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

• Members

My bad. I was going to build a couple of Tub@ 24s and 0mni PA tops to compare them to Z-x's Meyer rig, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Yeah, I hear ya. I mean they're pretty much the same things, once you get right down to it.

:idk: :idk: :idk:

Archived