More OT: Anyone make a beer can chicken? Tell me more!

bassthumpintwin

• Members

There's no real way to go wrong.

Keeps the chicken moist during cooking. Just MAKE SURE YOU USE A THERMOMETER to determine whether chicken is done before removing!!! Don't want to regret your experiment later :)

Good luck!

• Members

There are multiple ways to season the chicken, you can just use salt, or any blend of spices you like, or I like to make a marinade from any oil-based salad dressing and let it sit in a bag of that overnight. Then...

Take a can of beer/pop/soda (any will work), empty half of it (preferably into your own stomach). Stick the can right up the chicken's open ass end so that the chicken stands up on the can. You can make this in the oven or an a grill, the best way is to cook it low and slow, so if its the oven do roughly 350 (and put a tray under it to take care of the drips), if you are doing it on the grill, push the hot coals to one side and put the chicken on the other (indirect heat rocks). Give it a couple of hours to cook. It is great.

• Members

Here is mine: (well it's Cook's Country's-but it's the only one I'll ever make)

BBQ Beer-Can Chicken on a Charcoal Grill

8/2005

Look for chickens that weigh between 3 and 3 1/2 pounds; if they are significantly larger, you may have trouble fitting the lid on the grill.

Makes 2 chickens, serving 4 to 6

Spice Rub

2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon table salt

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Glaze

2 tablespoons ketchup

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons beer

1 teaspoon hot sauce

Beer and Chicken

2 (12-ounce) cans beer

4 crumbled bay leaves

2 whole chickens (3 to 3 1/2 pounds each), patted dry

4 cups wood chips

1. For the spice rub: Mix brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in bowl.

2. For the glaze: Stir brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, beer, and hot sauce together in medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon spice rub.

3. For the rest: Measure out 1 cup beer from each can; take 2 tablespoons from measured beer and add to ketchup glaze. Prepare beer cans as shown in photo 1, and add 2 crumbled bay leaves to each can.

4. Prepare chickens as shown in photos 2 through 4.

5. Soak wood chips in bowl of water to cover for 15 minutes. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (about 90 coals) and burn until charcoal is covered with fine gray ash. Place 13 by 9-inch disposable aluminum roasting pan in center of grill. Pour half of coals into pile on each side of grill, leaving pan in center. Scatter wood chips evenly over coals, set cooking grate in place, cover, and let grill heat up 5 minutes.

6. Place chickens (on cans) on center of grate, using drumsticks to stabilize them. Cover and grill until skin is well browned and very crisp, 40 to 60 minutes. Brush with ketchup glaze and grill, covered, until thigh meat registers 170 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes longer. Wearing oven mitts or using wad of paper towels, transfer chickens (still on cans) from grill to cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Hold base of can with oven mitt or wad of paper towels, insert tongs into neck cavity of chicken, and pull chicken off can. Carve and serve.

• Members

Here is mine: (well it's Cook's Country's-but it's the only one I'll ever make)

BBQ Beer-Can Chicken on a Charcoal Grill

8/2005

Look for chickens that weigh between 3 and 3 1/2 pounds; if they are significantly larger, you may have trouble fitting the lid on the grill.

Makes 2 chickens, serving 4 to 6

Spice Rub

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon table salt

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Glaze

2 tablespoons ketchup

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons beer

1 teaspoon hot sauce

Beer and Chicken

2 (12-ounce) cans beer

4 crumbled bay leaves

2 whole chickens (3 to 3 1/2 pounds each), patted dry

4 cups wood chips

1. For the spice rub: Mix brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in bowl.

2. For the glaze: Stir brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, beer, and hot sauce together in medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon spice rub.

3. For the rest: Measure out 1 cup beer from each can; take 2 tablespoons from measured beer and add to ketchup glaze. Prepare beer cans as shown in photo 1, and add 2 crumbled bay leaves to each can.

4. Prepare chickens as shown in photos 2 through 4.

5. Soak wood chips in bowl of water to cover for 15 minutes. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (about 90 coals) and burn until charcoal is covered with fine gray ash. Place 13 by 9-inch disposable aluminum roasting pan in center of grill. Pour half of coals into pile on each side of grill, leaving pan in center. Scatter wood chips evenly over coals, set cooking grate in place, cover, and let grill heat up 5 minutes.

6. Place chickens (on cans) on center of grate, using drumsticks to stabilize them. Cover and grill until skin is well browned and very crisp, 40 to 60 minutes. Brush with ketchup glaze and grill, covered, until thigh meat registers 170 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes longer. Wearing oven mitts or using wad of paper towels, transfer chickens (still on cans) from grill to cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Hold base of can with oven mitt or wad of paper towels, insert tongs into neck cavity of chicken, and pull chicken off can. Carve and serve.

:eek:

That. Sounds. Amazing.

Too bad I don't have a charcoal grill ;)

Though I'm sure it'll still taste awesome even if you did that in an oven.

I may have to try this out....

Archived