Great benefit gig

dravenzouk

• Members

I just got home from tonight's gig and had to give a report.

We did a special gig/event that was a fundraiser. A local woman that we knew died a while back under screwy circumstances. She was found unconscious and in bad shape outside the home of her former boyfriend. There were multiple "blunt force traumas" and some broken bones (including a femur). She died in the hospital without regaining consciousness. The boyfriend in question left the state. But the local police and the county prosecutor have essentially dropped the whole case and have done basically nothing. No attempt has been made to contact the former boyfriend, and the family of the woman keep running into walls about getting answers or seeing any justice. The family is also in rough financial shape and can't even afford a headstone for the grave.

So we decided to do a benefit gig to raise money for the headstone. Well, in the last few weeks that gig has grown into a much larger event, and we've also helped form an organization to push the authorities into doing something. There have been a couple of rallies and the issue is gaining steam. The local paper had a front page story about the issue this week and folks are getting worked up. Unfortunately, the "authorities" are beginning to feel the heat and are starting to push back. No outward threats have occured, but some of the local cops have definately started making folks that are involved with this uncomfortable.

Back to the gig. We got the venue (a small local bar) to hold an event that started at 5pm. We had a couple of acoustic acts play outside on the patio for a while, had a ton of free food donated, a {censored}load of door prizes and raffle items, some fire spinners to do a show, a gaming table to raise cash, etc. Then we hit the stage at 10pm and rocked them out til 1:30.

It was a pretty big success. The place was packed, everyone had a great time, our sets went fantastic, and best of all we raised somewhere around $3500.

Now I'm going to go to sleep.

• Members

That sounds awesome dude. Good on you, and glad to hear it all went well :thu:

Boyfriend was most likely a cop's brother or son, mark my words and watch...

That's exactly what came to my mind. I was thinking more along the lines of step kid or cousin or some sort of not-quite-direct family member so it wasn't super obvious, but yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Things aren't over by a long shot of course. But there is some encouraging forward movement. For months now the powers that be have been saying the case is closed and dead in the water, that there IS no case. But now they are backpedaling and publicly saying something different. The prosecutor has said (on statewide TV) that the case is NOT closed and is very much still alive. And the county sherrif has stated, on public record, that a trip out of state to talk to the ex-boyfriend is in the works. Not much it's true, and they are likely blowing smoke of course, but it's still a significant change in what they are saying. Also, this case is getting more and more media attention, and not just in our small town. The pressure is on, and there are some local folks that aren't letting go.

• Members

Things aren't over by a long shot of course. But there is some encouraging forward movement. For months now the powers that be have been saying the case is closed and dead in the water, that there IS no case. But now they are backpedaling and publicly saying something different. The prosecutor has said (on statewide TV) that the case is NOT closed and is very much still alive. And the county sherrif has stated, on public record, that a trip out of state to talk to the ex-boyfriend is in the works. Not much it's true, and they are likely blowing smoke of course, but it's still a significant change in what they are saying. Also, this case is getting more and more media attention, and not just in our small town. The pressure is on, and there are some local folks that aren't letting go.

This is good - I hope justice is served...

- georgestrings

Archived