Speaker Break In Question

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

I guess it varies from speaker to speaker.

I don't break in anything, but then I really don't drive my gear so hard that it's an issue.

Some manufacturers recommend it, so it's probably a good idea, but I don't understand why they do not do that at the factory.

The idea that the sound of a speaker changes significantly after break in seems like a lot of hot L/\//.

• Members

I'll go with some need it. My Avatar 410 neo really opened up after a couple hours of playing, the first couple at house levels, then for a couple hours at rehearsals. They got bassier, and more dynamic. I also have a Hellatone in my guitar amp (Marshall DSL401). Can't say for sure how it compares to a stock Vin 30 new out of the box (installed by prior owner) but it's a nice sounding speaker, without the tightness I had in my old Mesa Maverick with Vin 30s.

• Members

I'm of the opinion that it's not an absolute necessity. Most speakers sound fine right out of the box, IMO, but MAY sound better after playing them at a moderate volume for a few hours.

Depending on where you buy your cabs, chances are that some wanking guitards have already "broken it in" (Think Guitard Center).

If it's a concern, just plug a CD player into your input jack and loop a decently ranged song through it for a couple hours.

OR, you could just practice your bass! :D

• Members

If it's a concern

Not a concern at all. I just see every now and then people saying that they have to "break them in"

I kinda had the "break in" forced upon me. The land lady lived right bellow us, and she was most likely hitler youth (100% serious), so low volumes for me for a while, now I just let it rip to compensate for those quiet days.

• Members

I doubt it's absolutely necessary, though it may be in my head, I perceive my cabs to sound better (Fuller, rounder) the more I play through them. Wether or not anything is going on during the "break in" i don't know, but it's not hurting anything to take it easy on em for a couple a rehearsals...

• Members

Since most of my speakers are 30-40 years old, they have all been pretty well broken in. However, if I have one reconed, or we open up a p.a. cab right out of the box, I might send a signal through the cab for 12-24 hours before we actually use it live. At least I did when I was still able to be in a band.

Archived