an interesting article on the demise of music mags (a la spin and such)

mrs. bleepo

• Members

so i thought this was interesting. maybe i'm a dork who just likes to read online opinion/news things, but i figured as a community of musicians, this could make for an interesting debate...

so, what do you think? agree with anything in the article? do you still buy rolling stone/spin and the like? do you only get your music insider knowledge from the depths of the interwebz?

article on slate here

and....

go!

• Members

Spin and Rolling Stone have sucked for years. Typical celebrity worship/liberal rags with no value.

Classic Rock and Classic Prog from England are outstanding. Real stories with real musicians talking about real music. They usually come with a CD or DVD also making the 10 dollar price tag well worth it. I've discovered some great new bands because of Classic/Prog Rock.

The British bass magazine (Bass Guitar) is pretty decent also.

• Members

I used to read Loud, Fast, Rules. Pretty decent until I realized it was always the same bands. They had a nice article series about starting a band too. I stopped reading it when that article went to interviews with a guy who wrote books about starting bands... Interviews every issue.

• Members

honestly, i have not read any of these since i was a teen. i was obsessed with them back in the early/mid nineties. but now, i'd rather sleuth the netz to find out stuff. i wish we got interesting mags here. i'd rather read GQ (don't ask... but it is interesting)

how badly have they deteriorated? i'm assuming as bad as the article suggests.

• Members

I used to be a total magazine junkie. I not only read them like a fiend, but I kept everything - music, cycling, skate/surf, science, arts, climbing, etc. I had no use for "celebrity" stuff or "men's" mags but I still ended up amassing a ridiculously huge collection.

And my favorite was definately OPTION. Great music mag. I never liked Rolling Stone all that much, but SPIN was alright in the very beginning. OPTION outdid them all with ease. This was all pre-internet, so "alternative" magazines were my only real link to the outside world (I'm a small town boy), other than the crap that was fed to us from TV networks, major newspapers, and all the standard corporate media.

But somewhere along the way, mid 90's or so, I kinda stopped. I still pick up and read through pretty much anything that's laying around, but I don't go out of my way at all to actually seek magazines out. And I haven't actually bought a mag in probably ten years. And then I decided to get rid of all those boxes of collected mags. I mostly sold them, but just gave away a lot too. I mean I had full collections for up to 20 years of things like VeloNews, Maximum Rock & Roll, Thrasher, Bass Player, Rock & Ice, Powder, Omni, Transworld, Skateboarder, etc. TONS of stuff. But I let it all go.

Except for OPTION. I kept a box or two of some odds & ends, but the only magazine I kept all of was that one. It was a great mag.

• Members

I weighed in on this discussion at work earlier today.

Here were my notes:

Sad but true. It goes for all genres really. Try finding a good magazine article on the new Herbie Hancock release.

The internet provides the listener with a sharp knife to cut through all of the B.S that magazines like Spin, Vibe, Rolling Stone, and Blender regurgitate.

I really only read commentaries / interviews in musical instrument magazines because they are usually more in line with what I want to know about an artist/producer/whatever.

Music Magazines that are about new music, and not run my musicians are by their very nature superfluous. Anyone can be a critic. I think the article you referenced is a good article and most of what I see him saying is true. Who's fault is it? I dunno. Does it matter? Not really....

• Members

*snip*

I'm in the same boat. I used to read and collect some of the ones that weren't really "celebrity" focused. I still find a good informative, entertaining music magazine every now and again, but in the words of the old grumpy bastard on the porch, "It just ain't the same as it used to be."

That's okay though. That's what the interwebz are for!

• Members

I get Relix, Rolling Stone, Spin and Bass Player. I bought a subscription several years ago and will probably not re-up when the time comes. However, I have enjoyed reading them while I poop. I usually skim through and read the articles about new artists or artists I like. Every now and then there will be a good read like the recent issue of Spin featuring Wilco and Relix is probably my favorite. For the most part they are commy, liberal, fluff though. :mad:

• Members

Spin and Rolling Stone have sucked for years. Typical celebrity worship/liberal rags with no value.

Classic Rock and Classic Prog from England are outstanding. Real stories with real musicians talking about real music. They usually come with a CD or DVD also making the 10 dollar price tag well worth it. I've discovered some great new bands because of Classic/Prog Rock.

The British bass magazine (Bass Guitar) is pretty decent also.

Agreed. I also agreed with everything the article said. I don't need some magazine telling what's cool. Spin isn't too bad but most of it is scenester trash, bands no one will remember in 6 months. Both spin and rolling stone have the audacity to make top lists. Spin put metallica's new cd in the 5 cds of the year? Really? Like i care about rolling stone's {censored}ty lists of top 100 songs or artists or guest writers. They're so busy trying to be cool, enough new with some old that they don't know how to say anything meaningful. When a good album comes out it will probably get missed because some supergroup or teenagers playing typical indie pop with vintage style clothes made a new "album".

• Members

The internet provides the listener with a sharp knife to cut through all of the B.S that magazines like Spin, Vibe, Rolling Stone, and Blender regurgitate.

Yep'per.

Rolling Stone is still around?

• Members

I pick up Rolling Stone every once in a while to remind me not to pick it up. :D

But I really haven't really been interested in reading a rock magazine since the demise of Creem. I do read Downbeat still though, as it's a great jazz resource that actually talks about music and not celebrity gossip.

It's also like I haven't really been interested in reading a computer magazine since the demise of Byte.

• Members

I was a mag addict for years, about bass and guitar ones. It was very cool for toilets, more practical than computer in this place :)

But slightly i switched for more interesting books, and realize time i lost in paper "toilet" magazines, when i discovered some really cool online mags like Bass Musician.

So now, when i poop, books. When i 'm lurking on the web, bass musician, bass vault; bass forums..... :thu:

• Members

Yeah I got a 'free' 6 month trial for R.S. Just pick up an issue and attempt to read the "articles" and you'll see why it's dropped off so.

It's pretty gd pathetic. Like, worse than the Political Party forum here. Srsly. :facepalm:

• Members

Rolling Stone
was always on the coffee table in the waiting area of my music lesson studio. So I read it then. Seems slightly biased to the left.
:lol:
:lol:

Noooo, what gives that away? The whole "For Us, Against Us" meter dead center of their monthly dip{censored} politico piece each month? The one on the estate tax was the worst, in a long, long time. :facepalm:

• Members

The only music mag I ever subscribed to was Bassics Magazine, which sort of folded an issue or 2 down the road... Got return emails that they'd moved to New York, and were re-organizing and going to have something new out soon. But that never happened, and I have about 2 years of the few emails to show it. To me, it was a move to defraud the subscribers out of the rest of their subscriptions. Too bad, I really enjoyed it!

• Members

'Rolling Stone' has kinda {censored}ty reviews but their articles can be good sometimes. 'Spin' is ok too I guess but a little too 'youth-ternative' for my tastes. :o

I dunno, I'm not really into music mags, or mags in general, really. Print media is on the way out!

• CMS Author

I dunno, I'm not really into music mags, or mags in general, really. Print media is on the way out!

Sadly, IMO. It's good, even comforting, to have something tangible to read. When given the choice between a paper article or the same one on my laptop, I choose the former.

• Members

Sadly, IMO. It's good, even comforting, to have something tangible to read. When given the choice between a paper article or the same one on my laptop, I choose the former.

Yea but that's the way it goes, I guess. Technology marches on. Maybe we'll all have e-books or something someday. :o

• Members

Yea but that's the way it goes, I guess. Technology marches on. Maybe we'll all have e-books or something someday.
:o

we already do. you can buy pdf files of books. and i have read online novellas before. its a touch more uncomfortable to curl up with a laptop on the couch. trust me, i contorted into every position i could try to get as comfy as i am with a book. i failed. finished the novellas tho! (this is what my fave author gets for releasing a bunch of back stories on her characters solely online. ow)

• Members

so i thought this was interesting. maybe i'm a dork who just likes to read online opinion/news things, but i figured as a community of musicians, this could make for an interesting debate...

so, what do you think? agree with anything in the article? do you still buy rolling stone/spin and the like? do you only get your music insider knowledge from the depths of the interwebz?

and....

go!

Jonah Weiner?

• Members

Yeah, I just got an email from Barnes & Noble about their free eReader that works on PC's, Macs, iPhones and Blackberrys.

I haven't checked it out, because I still like reading physical books. I was tempted about the Amazon Kindle, but they've been having bad press lately with them turning off books you bought or if they cancel your account, you're locked out of the books you already bought and things like that. But then again, it would be nice to not add to the boxes and boxes of books I already have. :thu:

• Members

I would think this would apply for folks that are into popular music. It's probably true that there are fewer superstars and I think a reason for that is the attention span of the average person is next to nothing these days. By the time artist A writes hit #2, people are already over artist A and into artist B.

That's just my hunch, anyway. I probably read Pitchfork and The Onion AV more than anything else for music related stuff.

• Members

Yea but that's the way it goes, I guess. Technology marches on. Maybe we'll all have e-books or something someday.
:o

The Kindle (Amazon) is a step towards that, but its $300 (I think)

I hope it never gets to that point. I don't need/want to look at a computer screen THAT much.

Archived