Actors whose movies you go out of your way to see

78pbass

• Members

For Ed Norton it's "Down in the Valley". Co-starring Evan Rachel Wood and David Morse. It's really quite good and some of his best work I think. It's a quiet movie, but strangely intense.

excellent, but creepy film...same with Hard Candy with Ellen Page.

• Members

+1 to Kevin Spacey, De Niro, Pacino, Forrest Whitaker, and Johnny Depp.

Anthony Hopkins.

the late Sir Ian Richardson.

older John Cleese and Michael Palin.

some Daniel Day Lewis.

I dig the little I've seen of Guy Pearce's work.

Right now I'm enjoying the performances of Nigel Hawthorne (as Sir Humphrey Appleby) in Yes, Prime Minister. :thu:

• Members

Charlize Theron (great actress in my book)
as is Ashley Judd.
Renee Zellweger
Matt Damon (is definetly growing on me; getting better and better as he gets older)
Russel Crowe
Liam Neeson
Jodi Foster (now that she's older especially)
Tom Hanks
Nicole Kidman
Will Smith

• Members

I like actors who can play a good psycho:

Daniel day lewis

robert carlyle

tim roth

gary oldman

Lewis and Oldman can play anything. They're two of the finest actors working these days.

Oldman reminds me of Lon Chaney.

• Members

Ok another recommendation.

Tim Roth and Gary Oldman were both mentioned a few times. And again, I heartily agree - both are often superb and I am always interested in whatever films they are in. Another film that doesn't seem to get anywhere near the attention it deserves, and that happens to feature the two of these guys in the lead roles, is "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead".

This is another of my top favourite films. Of course, I'm a Shakespeare fan so I'm inclined to like it, but this is a very unique and wickedly funny film. It's a film version of Tom Stoppard's play, and it sort of follows "Hamlet" but from the viewpoint of the two characters named in the title. It also, like my previous recommendation of "Illuminata", is much more theatre-like than a lot of films, and I think this is a good thing (but a lot of folks might not "get" it). There are quite a few "a play within a play within a play" moments and it's really inventive and quite well done. The timing of the dialogue between Roth and Oldman (and Richard Dreyfuss) is fantastic.

If you like Roth and Oldman, appreciate theatre, are a Shakespeare fan or at least are pretty familiar with "Hamlet", and you like your humour a bit more intelligent than say Larry the Cable Guy, you should do yourself a favour and check this film out.

Archived