What's your favorite spice?

Thunderbroom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe that all you wussies find going through that tiny little bit of trouble peeling and chopping garlic such a pain. It's worth it to get fresh garlic.

The more canned and bottled and packaged preserved and preprepared things going to your meal, the less chance that it will taste good.

• Members

I can't believe that all you wussies find going through that tiny little bit of trouble peeling and chopping garlic such a pain. It's worth it to get fresh garlic.

The more canned and bottled and packaged preserved and preprepared things going to your meal, the less chance that it will taste good.

While I agree that it only takes a couple minutes to chop fresh garlic, when you have a 6mo preggo wife who needs to eat NOW MUTHA FUNKAH!!!, you use whats quickest :) I use the little jars of minced garlic in olive oil a lot. The smaller jars are perfect, as they are readily on hand, and you go through them fast enough (ok, I do) that they don't go bad. And they don;t grow shoots in the veggie bin like whole garlic :)

• Members

+1 to real garlic. Hell with the powder, unless it's a medical thing. Powder will never be as tasty or healthy as the real thing. I'd only relent on this for pizza.

+1 to curry and to fresh ground pepper...spousal unit failed to mail our grinder when she packed out to come join me.
:mad:

Quality paprika is awesome.

I'm always dumping in an Italian mixture, but basil + oregano + thyme in some combination and varying proportion is mmm-mmm good.

I also hit the marjoram pretty hard.

Jazz Ad - I rarely use the coriander except in very few things, but now I'm intrigued to try it more...

That said, my lazy cooking habits have degraded tremendously since moving overseas.
:facepalm:

51GJSNHc1CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You guys need to try this stuff. It seriously rocks my face off. :love::love:

Tastes like paprika was meant to IMO. Get the picante one though.

• Members

Here's a little known trick to play on your friends.

Take an iron skillet, get it hot, drop in a couple of tablespoons of oil, then immediately throw in a tablespoon of cumin.

Your whole house (better your friend's house) will smell exactly like human body odor.

I know my spices, you bet!

• Members

There's a bunch of them that I love, but I don't think any hold a candle to freshly ground black pepper to me.

Yeppers. Specifically, coarse ground Indian black Tellicherry from Penzeys

Well, that and (although not a spice), Diamond brand kosher salt.

Archived