What's the word on the Hartke HA3500C?

db.

• Members

You were just ready to spend 1K on a little combo, right?

Forget this crap, man.

Here you go.

Amp -

Get an avatar cab...

Yeah, my credit card found its way back into my wallet.

But the Genz looks super nice. It would be a sweet rig matched up with the Avatar...

You don't like the Hartkes?

• Members

I own an LH500 and my church has a 3500. They're decent all around meaning; Price isn't bad, You can dial in a good tone, and they're solid, but by chance they break, Hartke has serious customer service as in Larry himself will make something happen.

Sure you slap it up against something 2-3x times the price you'll notice some faults, but I've never had a reason to get something else.

• Members

I've got that head. Paired it with a Mesa Powerhouse 2x10 for my first bass rig. Playing bass for less than a year, I'm not sure how much weight my comments can hold, but I'll give you my honest opinions.

It's a decent head. Can get plenty loud. I never run it past half volume with my Mesa, makes my shelves shake {censored} off when practicing. I haven't gigged with this setup yet, as I'm not in a band. Hartke's seem to be very neutral. Even though it has a tube preamp, it's clean as hell. I'm not getting much of any saturation or bite coming out of it.

As for recording, I'd rather just go in direct and use some Sansamp plugin of something to add dirt if I want it, rather than using the amp's DI.

I got mine for like $160, which is damn cheap for the volume. It meets my needs, so I'm happy.

• Members

DB, I definitely agree with Thrustin on this one. Number one, when you pick it up, you are like "No way this could sound good." as it only weighs 3.5 lbs. Then when I plugged mine in for the first time the first thing that came out of my mouth was "Holy {censored}!" I plugged it into an Ampeg 810 and couldn't turn the volume past about 10 oclock before {censored} started falling off the walls. Tone? It has a 12 AX7 tube preamp that is mixable with the solid state preamp. It is sex.

• Members

The LH500 is $349. Get 2 Avatars and be done. Having said that, I owned the 5500 for several years and never had an issue with it. Very reliable and loud. I just sold it and bought a Shuttle 6.0 ($699 though). If you have to have the eq section, the 3500c is a good buy. The newer LH500 gives 150 extra watts. I demo'd it and that amp kills for the price.

• Members
DB, I definitely agree with Thrustin on this one. Number one, when you pick it up, you are like "No way this could sound good." as it only weighs 3.5 lbs. Then when I plugged mine in for the first time the first thing that came out of my mouth was "Holy {censored}!" I plugged it into an Ampeg 810 and couldn't turn the volume past about 10 oclock before {censored} started falling off the walls. Tone? It has a 12 AX7 tube preamp that is mixable with the solid state preamp. It is sex.

Definitely a nice amp but bear in mind the $699 price tag if you're on a budget. The LH500 isn't that heavy. If I wasn't in the market for a micro amp, I would have bought the Hartke on the spot and saved myself $350 dollars!

• Members

Here's a much superior head at the same price of 399.00.

That amp is still being revised as it had issues out the box. Less and less issues are being reported though. Definitely a nice head for the money! GK has the MB500 for $499 and has also been revised (up to A5 (5th revision)) due to issues out the box! Both are very loud 500w! The GK doesn't have the eq section the Carvin has.

Just want to give full disclosure if you're considering these amps.

• Members

That amp is still being revised as it had issues out the box. Less and less issues are being reported though. Definitely a nice head for the money! GK has the MB500 for $499 and has also been revised (up to A5 (5th revision)) due to issues out the box! Both are very loud 500w! The GK doesn't have the eq section the Carvin has.

Just want to give full disclosure if you're considering these amps.

Everything I've read says Carvin dealt with these issues and they're no longer making changes to the amp. It's also the reason why I never recommended the amp when it first came out. Early bugs, as reported in detail over at TALKBASS. Same kind of problems other manufacturers had with the new micro technology.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I love how you find people at forums making negative comments about amps that they probably never owned let alone played. This discussion of the Hartke HA3500 is a a perfect example. On the one hand this is an amp that's been owned and used for years by Stu Hamm. Maybe you've heard of him. He's a famous session musician whose played with Steve Vai, Framk Gambale, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson etc, etc. Stu Hamm also has a Fender Signature amp in his name. So I'd say his opinion actually counts for something. Victor Wooten is an another Hartke amp owner. Again there's an opinion that actually counts. Then you have a bunch of NOBODY'S at this forum trashing this amp and Hartke amps in general. I'd say the ones who can't get a good sound out of this amp and other Hartke amps couldn't get a decent sound out of ANY amp.

• Members

I love how you find people at forums making negative comments about amps that they probably never owned let alone played. This discussion of the Hartke HA3500 is a a perfect example. On the one hand this is an amp that's been owned and used for years by Stu Hamm. Maybe you've heard of him. He's a famous session musician whose played with Steve Vai, Framk Gambale, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson etc, etc. Stu Hamm also has a Fender Signature amp in his name. So I'd say his opinion actually counts for something. Victor Wooten is an another Hartke amp owner. Again there's an opinion that actually counts. Then you have a bunch of NOBODY'S at this forum trashing this amp and Hartke amps in general. I'd say the ones who can't get a good sound out of this amp and other Hartke amps couldn't get a decent sound out of ANY amp.

I love even more how n00bs bump 2 year old threads without realizing it.

Really, who cares what Stu Hamm or Victor Wooten use? Wooten was a long time Ampeg user. Besides, their studio & live tones are probably DI...without Hartke equipment in them at all. So it's a complete moot point. It's just for show.

Do you think that KISS actually uses 50 4X12 cabinets? None of them are loaded with speakers...

Archived