training for a 5k race. . .

jonathan_matos5

• Members

i have about 2 months to do it. can it be done?:confused:

i went for my first training jog and only made it 1 k

im really out of shape.:o

haven't really done anything athletic for the last 10 years so im just looking to complete the 5k.

do you people have any tips for a wannabe running bassist? one i already know is not to over do it. i have other things i have to do during the day. :blah:

• Members

Yup, work up to it for sure.

week 1

3 days a week. 1 mile at 10 minute pace.

week 2

3 days a week. 1 mile at 9 minute pace.

week 3

3 days a week. 2 miles at 10 minute pace.

week 4

3 days a week. 2 miles at 9 minute pace.

week 5

4 days a week. 2 miles at 10 minute pace.

week 6

4 days a week. 2 miles at 9 minute pace.

week 7

4 days a week. 3 miles at 10 minute pace.

week 8

4 days a week. 3 miles at 9 minute pace.

At that point you should know how fast you have to run for 9 and 10 min paces. When you run your 5k, you can adjust to that based on your comfort level. I ran my first 5k last week at a little quicker than 10 minute mile pace and wasn't real tired at the end. Had a blister though. Stupid shoes.

• Members

I haven't run in a few years (need to get back to it!). However, I didn't run at all until my mid 20s, and I over did it. Meaning my ankles and knees hurt so much after a few weeks that I had to stop for awhile.

So basically what I'm saying is, the advice to ease into it is good advice. You have to give your body time to adjust to the impact. And also, don't let your feet slam into the ground, especially when you get tired (one of the mistakes I made). Try to make your feet land lightly, which reduces the impact.

Good luck!

• Members

You sure can!

There are a bunch of couch potatoe to 5K training programs. I am doing a 5K next week and have been training for about two months. I run three times perweek. Tempo runs M W and long run on Saturday. I can do 10 minute miles.

I am building up to do a 10k next month. I picked this as an in between point.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

The one I run next week has a funny name - The Doggie Doo 5K to raise money for a place that trains service dogs.

My goal is to run 10 minute miles which is 6 miles per hour on a treadmill. I can do this with a mediium effort. I am doing slower training runs up to 4 miles so far.

• Members

Good luck!

Don't forget to eat right. You'll need a good balance of carbs and protein. You shouldn't need to pound tons of carbs before a 5k, btw. Pay attention along the way to the things that you eat - what works and what doesn't. Then race day, eat something that works!

There is tons of info on that coolrunnings website. I'm currently doing one of their 5k plans. Also Runnersworld.com will give you tons of info. They cater to beginners as well as the seasoned runners.

• Members

Don't forget about the mental factor. You can do it.

I found a great book I love on the mental aspect of running. Its called Running Within.

51ZKK3TCY5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

I started running in order to a 5k for my 30th birthday. I was feeling fat, lazy, and out of shape. I have been running since then. I just celebrated my 34th birthday. I still do 5ks to keep my training going and did my first 10k last year.

You would be suprised by your progress if you give it a try, have a basic plan, and not look for changes that are bigger and faster than your body will allow.

Running within is all about the Zen mindset for running and realizing how much thinking can impact your performance. It really helps you feel positive about stuff but still realistic.

:thu:

• Members

Yup, work up to it for sure.

week 1

3 days a week. 1 mile at 10 minute pace.

week 2

3 days a week. 1 mile at 9 minute pace.

week 3

3 days a week. 2 miles at 10 minute pace.

week 4

3 days a week. 2 miles at 9 minute pace.

week 5

4 days a week. 2 miles at 10 minute pace.

week 6

4 days a week. 2 miles at 9 minute pace.

week 7

4 days a week. 3 miles at 10 minute pace.

week 8

4 days a week. 3 miles at 9 minute pace.

At that point you should know how fast you have to run for 9 and 10 min paces. When you run your 5k, you can adjust to that based on your comfort level. I ran my first 5k last week at a little quicker than 10 minute mile pace and wasn't real tired at the end. Had a blister though. Stupid shoes.

A blister sucks. I have really great shoes. That is the best running investment I can recommend. I had a place near me that was a serious runnig store not just a normal sporting good store. The saleman runs competitively and owns the shop. He helped me find the right pair of shoes. I was able to try them out in the parking lot too. You should bring a pair of shoes for them to assess if you need motion control shoes.

Most likely you just need neutral shoes.

I found Saucony work for me. I do not take a wide shoe but I got wide feet and they had a large toebox.

• Members

A blister sucks. I have really great shoes. That is the best running investment I can recommend. I had a place near me that was a serious runnig store not just a normal sporting good store. The saleman runs competitively and owns the shop. He helped me find the right pair of shoes. I was able to try them out in the parking lot too. You should bring a pair of shoes for them to assess if you need motion control shoes.

Most likely you just need neutral shoes.

I found Saucony work for me. I do not take a wide shoe but I got wide feet and they had a large toebox.

Yeah, mine aren't really running shoes... They're cross-trainers that I use for general workout purposes & running is part of those workouts sometimes. :idk: Running shoes are expensive as {censored}. One of my old co-workers is a B-flight runner (really fast) and has been sponsored at times by Nike. When he's sponsored, the shoes he gets are over $200. :eek:

• Members

Yeah, mine aren't really running shoes... They're cross-trainers that I use for general workout purposes & running is part of those workouts sometimes.
:idk:
Running shoes are expensive as {censored}. One of my old co-workers is a B-flight runner (really fast) and has been sponsored at times by Nike. When he's sponsored, the shoes he gets are over $200.
:eek:

The most expensive running shoes I got were?$90. I found tons of deals in Internet. I know the make and model. I have gotten them for $50 when they are clearing out the old models.

For distance running you don't need high tech stuff like short distance runningg.

I would probably try cross training in running shoes. I don't lift weights. I just run.

• Members

Upon consideration, I will revise my statement. 5k is not far at all.

I've run on and off since jr. high, but recently I took a 4-5 month break filled with lots of fried food and beer and I was hurting to run a mile. That was 3 months ago, tomorrow I'm doing at least 11k and can run a sub-7 mile. If time permits I'll be running the halloween half marathon.

Archived