JBL PRX 518S Sub

drumrolls

• Members

Hello,

I just purchased a used JBL PRX 518S powered sub. Works and sounds great, but I am underwhelmed with the performance. I trust the seller is not trying to scam me (maybe I've been dupped!:confused:) I haven't hook up a ton of devices yet to try different inputs, but I am wondering - Is it possible for the sub to have some sort of defect that would limit it's performance? The sound is clean, no clipping, x-over and polarity switcing works, both left and right channels work. In my experience an amp either works or it doesn't and a speaker either sounds like crap or sounds good and clean. I just feel like this thing should be putting out some more thump.

Thanks for any and all suggestions or comments!

• Members

Correct. The red light never illuminates. Does that mean I need to send a stronger signal? i had input device maxed out and volume input on the sub maxed out (which I would never do, but it just got mildly louder... not what I expected)

What are you using as an input device? it is possible that it does not have sufficient output to properly drive your sub.

• Members

What are you using as an input device? it is possible that it does not have sufficient output to properly drive your sub.

That's my guess too. Cranking the input gains like that is going to bring it into limiting prematurely, which explains the lack of output or change in output, he needs a stronger input signal.

• Members

Yeah... sorry for mulitple posts... just signed up as a user today... can you tell? :facepalm:

Anyway, I used an ipod with 1/8" to 1/4" jack, it didnt do the trick so I grabbed my Roland TD8 brain thinking it would push... was a wee bit better, but still I should not be able to turn the sub input gain to 100%. I think I agree that input need to be boosted. Will play with my mixer tonight.

Thanks,

Archived