Baritone Guitar vs Bass...

zachoff

• Members

What do you think? I recommended my guitar player check out a Schecter Hellcat VI baritone guitar because he'd mentioned he didn't like playing a P in his other band... Doesn't really like playing bass in the first place and thinks his Peavey P is too huge.

This dude I jammed with one time had one and I played it for a while and thought it to be pretty f'ing rad but didn't have the "big" sound you'd associate with a normal bass. Still, it was "bassey" but more high mids & highs than low mids and lows.

Anyway, just wondering what you guys think. Other than being not so "bassey" they're still pretty damn rad and the Hellcat is particularly rad.

• Members

is that a bass with 6 strings...tuned like a guitar?

Can be - but the fundamental is the same as a bass. The low string is generally in the .090's.

I always tuned all six strings in straight 4ths (rather than dropping to the third on the 4th string), but then I tune my guitars that way most of the time.

• Members

Can be - but the fundamental is the same as a bass. The low string is generally in the .090's.

I always tuned all six strings in straight 4ths (rather than dropping to the third on the 4th string), but then I tune my guitars that way most of the time.

why the difference...if any

i see basses with more than 6..are there guitars with more than 6:cool:

• Members

I like straight 4ths tuning because it gives me identically shaped 4 string chords anywhere on the fret board.
:cool:
There are extended range guitars - I've seen 7, 8 and 9.

cool...

i like the 4..and the 4ths tuning...as you say...you can do an arpeggio 7th turnaround just like you were twirling your wrist...no hassle

cheers K-H

• Members

I've got a Hellcat VI. I've also got a Dano Innuendo Baritone.

First thing's first: the Hellcat is 30 inch scale, and the Dano is 27. The Hellcat is tuned EADGBE an octave below standard guitar tuning. The Dano is tuned BEADF#B. Half way inbetween. I actually play the Dano alongside my bassplayer on a song in my current band. He's got a fiver, and the song just made more sense in that tuning. I'm sure I could throw some different strings on my Hellcat and tune it like my Dano, and I may do that soon. I need a backup for the Dano now!

I think the Hellcat VI works better as a bass when you use the humbuckers. pulling the coil tap on it just takes the piss out of it when played with its current tuning. Otherwise, it pretty well sounds like a bass but has more upper range. Mind you, being that the strings are much closer together than on a 4 banger, it does take some practice. I'm no genius, but I can play it fingerstyle or with a pick.

Zachoff, if your guitarist likes rocking out to the point where he's making it look effortless, this is probably not the bass for him. He'll likely become frustrated unless he's a quick study on a new instrument.

• Members

cool...

i like the 4..and the 4ths tuning...as you say...you can do an arpeggio 7th turnaround just like you were twirling your wrist...no hassle

Stanley Jordan tunes his guitars (non-baritone) in 4ths. Man, that guy is a fantastic musician!

• Members

They had a pretty bitchin' Les Paul baritone, but I would think that an SG would be to brittle to last very long if done in the proper mahogany.

I think ESP makes a bastardized version?

The SG bass was 30" scale and all mahogany.

THe whole thing being solid maple would rock...

especially if it was neck-thru...

Archived