I made a song! Listen, torture yourself!

Brian Krashpad

• Members

This is a song I recorded in November in a few hours at a local (home) studio, for a homeless outreach charity. I tend to think of myself as a performer/songwriter first, guitarist second, and singer last (even though I've been the lead singer for the band this was written for for over 10 years), so it never occurred to me to post it in the singers' forum.

The lyrics are lefty so any of y'all neocons need not listen, or listen at your own risk. I guess I won't get in trouble even if someone wants to discuss the merits or lack thereof of the lyrics vis-a-vis politics, BUT that is NOT my intent, just to share the music. So I'd just as soon not go there, OK? I do say the word "piss" in each chorus, which may not be work safe if you have speakers or something. Other than that one word there are no bad words though.

Feel free to criticize if you like, it was slapped down in one evening and most everything is first or second take with minimal punch-ins. But I'm fairly broke right now so this is as good as it'll get. I play the guitar and bass parts, and sing the lead and one of the backing vocals (the lower register one). My friend the studio engineer did the higher backing vocal.

It's old school punk rock and roll. So don't click if you're expecting anything polished at all. Guitar-wise it's pretty much a Chuck Berry doublestop-fest. There's actually one or two small voice breaks that are half-recovered from, towards the end, that I could've gone back and fixed with punch-ins, but the beauty of the punk rock is you can leave that kinda stuff in. If it's emotionally right it doesn't have to sound perfect. Although in a singers' forum I'm sure some (many?) will disagree.

For those of you gearheads, the guitars used on the recording are my: Hamer Special with P-90's ("lead" throughout), '52 RI Fender Tele (single-note line doubling the bass), and on rhythm my Les Paul Classic and Ric 620. The bass was my '80's MIJ Squier P-bass. Bass went straight to the board; guitars all through a '60's Sunn 200S head and DIY 2x12 cab with a couple Celestion silverbacks.

Here's the link to follow:

http://fs08n5.sendspace.com/dl/fb2216eceadd88f438f8b437280a531c/497c686a4e6b52da/62btbs/LaborDay.wma

Have at it!

• Members

i think it's pretty cool,cool lyrics for sure...here's some of mine.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

i've only been playing for about 9 mos.,i've only been playing and singing since september,and i'm self taught to boot so they're pretty rough and completely unfinished...still a work in progress;)

Damon

• Members

Kinda like slow Stones (Angie, Wild Horses) meets Skynnrd.

i'm a classic rock/red dirt country fanatic.cross canadian ragweed is my absolute favorite band...if you've never heard of them...check 'em out,if you dig classic rock type stuff you'll like them...

Damon

• Members

i'm a classic rock/red dirt country fanatic.cross canadian ragweed is my absolute favorite band...if you've never heard of them...check 'em out,if you dig classic rock type stuff you'll like them...

Damon

My side band does original roots rock, you might like them (probably more than the punk rock above, haha!), they're here:

http://www.myspace.com/HoytAndTheHotHeads

On the recordings on that page, I play the lead guitar and the bass guitar, but don't do any lead vocals.

• Members

good stuff man,damn,i wish there was more of a music scene here in north central kansas...

Damon

Thanks; I'm very blessed to be living in Gainesville, Florida. In addition to being college athletics' Title Town of late, we have a wonderful music scene totally out of proportion to the relatively small size of our town. Bands everywhere. Which also means lots of cheap used gear floating around, in addition to the music itself. It's a wonderful scene, and I've had many good times and made many friends as a result of it over the years.

Even got to play bass as part of Bo Diddley's pick-up band at a benefit once.

• Members

That sucked ass.

Aw, no. I'm kidding. I liked it. It had sort of a snotty punk vocal thing mixed in with a very traditional rock and roll approach. Reminded me of some of that 90s Lookout Records stuff (The Queers, Screeching Weasel), but a little more tame and less punky.

I didn't much care for the lyrics because I like them to be less obvious than that - a little more subtle. It's just a taste thing - the song is well-written.

Good job...and an even better name, Brian.

Brian V.

P.S. I used to live in Orange Park (near Jacksonville), and it always amused me how much better Gainesville's scene was compared to Jacksonville. It's a MUCH smaller town, but it seems like there's a lot more going on musically. Must be the whole college town thing...

Archived