OT: Long Rant: The 'legalize marijuana' people soliciting in front of my pharmacy

ikestr

• Members
You know, you guys are right. My opinion is bull{censored} and my rant is totally uncalled for.

One person insulted your opinion, and another dismissed it. Everyone else made reasoned responses to your post.

If you don't feel like defending/debating your position, that's fine, but at least be honest about the behavior of the majority of posters in the thread...

(though I could ask why, if you didn't feel like debating your position, you bothered to start an entire thread dedicated to expressing it in a public forum...but I won't ;))

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My original post had to do with the guys being in front of the pharmacy. If you read the whole post I said that they have every right to to solicite for their petition but why do it in front of a business where there are families with kids going in. I will say again they have every right to get signatures for their petition but maybe they could target their target audience....adults. For example they could be in front of a liquor store or adult book store or some college.

My second post was just my opinion and was based in emotion about the whole drug thing and not about the original post. I failed to follow up on my first post.

For those of you who have small kids do you want these legalize pot guys in front of stores you take your kids?

ikestr

• Members

yeah they do... they also do the other things, drugs don't alter personalities that much.

My point is that when you smoke pot (which I do not) GENERALLY SPEAKING, people don't lose their judgement/memory to the point that they will do stupid {censored} like they would if they were drunk. People don't wake up the next morning in jail after getting high, going "oh, {censored}! WTF!".

• Members

One, you're in San Diego...you do realize that just about anyone can legally get pot under the current medical marijuana laws in place in Cali, right?

Two, there's already been bills put forth in the Cali legislature on the matter. The most common prediction I've seen is that it will pass some time next year.

Are you as upset about the beer and alcohol commercials on TV as you are about these guys?

+10000000

• Members

For those of you who have small kids do you want these legalize pot guys in front of stores you take your kids?

ikestr

I'm sure she has seen crazier stuff. Honestly, it doesn't bother me. It's not uncommon to see protesters. That's the American Way.

• Members

My point is that when you smoke pot (which I do not) GENERALLY SPEAKING, people don't lose their judgement/memory to the point that they will do stupid {censored} like they would if they were drunk. People don't wake up the next morning in jail after getting high, going "oh, {censored}! WTF!".

Gotcha. Thats not what I personally read into it but I can see it now.

• Members

My original post had to do with the guys being in front of the pharmacy. If you read the whole post I said that they have every right to to solicite for their petition but why do it in front of a business where there are families with kids going in. I will say again they have every right to get signatures for their petition but maybe they could target their target audience....adults. For example they could be in front of a liquor store or adult book store or some college.

So freedom of speech should only be allowed in certain areas? :confused:

If children don't learn about pot in one place, they're bound to find out about it somewhere else. You need look no further than current trends in pop culture to see that. References to pot are EVERYWHERE. It's in movies, TV, music, newspapers, etc.. For instance, I distinctly remember being about 6 or 7 years old when I watched an episode of Murphy Brown on CBS (not cable, network TV, mind you) where she smoked a joint.

I can understand the concern about marijuana being present in the lives of children, but isn't it the parents' responsibility to educate them as to the dangers of not only pot but anything that could be seen as dangerous to their mental/physical development?

My second post was just my opinion and was based in emotion about the whole drug thing and not about the original post. I failed to follow up on my first post.

If your original intent was about limiting freedom of speech in certain areas for the safety of children, then why the shift of attention with a post that's sure to bring opinions and posts that are contrary to your own? :confused:

• Members
I can understand his concern, but as soon as kids are old enough to read the paper they'll figure out that abortion is legal and a matter of "privacy" between a "patient" and their "doctor", which makes the legitimate use of a proven medical drug (pot) seem inconsequential by comparison.

:wave:

:facepalm:

• Members

I will say again they have every right to get signatures for their petition but maybe they could target their target audience....adults. For example they could be in front of a liquor store or adult book store or some college.

ikestr

Because they want to be taken seriously. The legality of marijuana for medicinal use is a big issue in CA, if you didn't know. It is legal in CA, but the federal law supersedes state law.

Personally, I hope it does become legal. I don't smoke the stuff, but I don't think that means that no one should if they want to in the privacy of their own homes or in designated clubs.

• Members
I gotta go with KK in that as long as booze is legal, people should be able to smoke pot.Stoned people don't wreck cars, beat their families, start fights, choke on puke, lose jobs because they can't get up:blah:

Just sayin', being able to drink but not smoke pot... is like being able {censored} but not give hugs!

{censored}ing A man....:thu:

• Members

I gotta go with KK in that as long as booze is legal, people should be able to smoke pot.Stoned people don't wreck cars, beat their families, start fights, choke on puke, lose jobs because they can't get up:blah:

Just sayin', being able to drink but not smoke pot... is like being able {censored} but not give hugs!

I'm pretty sure they do at least a couple of those. Don't make it out to be something it's not. It inebriates people and skews judgment. When you judgment is compromised anything can happen.

Archived