Only in Canada: Detain a thief for police, get prosecuted for kidnapping.

philthygeezer

• Members

In footage caught on surveillance video May 23, Anthony Bennett is seen taking $60 worth of plants from outside Mr. Chen's Lucky Moose market and leaving on a bicycle. On the tape he returns an hour later, is confronted by Mr. Chen and flees on foot, with Mr. Chen and his employees in hot pursuit.

The three men caught Mr. Bennett, tied his hands and feet and locked him in a delivery truck until police arrived. All three are now charged with assault, kidnapping, unlawful confinement and carrying concealed weapons.

The Government offered to plea bargain to where they 'only' get convicted of forcible confinement and concealment of a weapon in exchange for a suspended sentence and 18 months probation.

{censored} that. They should be getting accolades.

• Members

I remember reading this when it first happened. Not cool at all.

The local businesses are freaked because the police all but green-lighted further crime in the area. No one is going to want to stop a thief now, knowing they can go to jail for it.

• Members

It does seem silly, but they had the thief on camera stealing the plants, and they know who he is from previous thefts. Why couldn't Mr. Chen have just called the police and given them the evidence to arrest Mr. Bennett? Instead, he puts himself at risk by committing multiple crimes, one of them indictable.

As easy as it is to say 'good job' to Mr. Chen for stopping this thief, I really would not like the citizens arrest laws changed to allow random people to legally detain or imprison other citizens just because they think they may have (or might in the future) commit a crime. That would be pretty scary....

• Moderators

As easy as it is to say 'good job' to Mr. Chen for stopping this thief, I really would not like the citizens arrest laws changed to allow random people to legally detain or imprison other citizens just because they think they may have (or might in the future) commit a crime. That would be pretty scary....

Thankfully most people agree with you. :thu:

• Members

On the surface, it seems like they're being unfairly done in, but I agree with you, the existing laws are there for a reason because otherwise this would set a dangerous precedent.

Similar case occurred back home where a store owner locked a thief in a cold room until the police arrived. The store owner was cleared of any wrongdoing though.

• Members

Thankfully most people agree with you.
:thu:

I agree with you guys.

However, these people caught a man stealing merchandise and held him for police. Why assume they guessed? That's not part of citizen's arrest? Then what the hell does the 'arrest' part mean if not detention?

The deterrent to just grabbing people you think might have dunnit is conviction of assault, kidnapping, unlawful confinement and jail time.

• Members

On the surface, it seems like they're being unfairly done in, but I agree with you, the existing laws are there for a reason because otherwise this would set a dangerous precedent.

Indeed. I personally don't want to live in a world where another citizen can attempt to arrest and detain me simply because they "suspect" I have committed or will commit a crime (especially the latter).

The first person who attempted to wrongfully detain me with the use of force would likely inspire me to exercise my explicit right to protect myself and my person; which would likely not end in a positive result.

• Members

However, these people caught a man stealing merchandise and held him for police. Why assume they guessed?

Because it doesn't say they caught him.

It says the video recorded him stealing, and then an hour later when he came back there was a confrontation with Chen and then the detainment.

If they had actually caught him, there'd be no issue, since (as the article states) the citizen's arrest laws allow you to detain someone "if they see that person committing a crime on their property"...

If they had actually seen him do it, it would have been entirely lawful.

• Members

Because it doesn't say they caught him.

It says the
video
recorded him stealing, and then an
hour later
when he came back there was a confrontation with Chen and then the detainment.

If they had actually caught him, there'd be no issue, since (as the article states) the citizen's arrest laws allow you to detain someone "if they see that person committing a crime on their property"...

If they had actually seen him do it, it would have been entirely lawful.

Good point.

So it doesn't count if you can positively identify someone stealing your property on tape, and the man comes back an hour later in an un-arrested state? After all, you have proof he's committed a crime on your stoop, and it's your only chance to ensure he is caught, so why not hold him for police?

• Members

Here in Chicago a front page story is about a cop who didn't like the fact he was getting a parking ticket so he cuffed the parking cop, threw her in the squad and booked her. Of course she sues, and wins to the tune of 1.55 million dollars! She suffered a "sprained arm".

How did they come up with that amount? Who's paying for it? You got it, THE TAXPAYER. The lady gets her cut, the lawyers get a HUGE cut (driving the costs up to 2 million) and they funnel dollars back into the machine to grease the wheels of corruption.

The City That Works, brought to you by the Democratic Party of Assholes.

:mad:

• Members

Here in Chicago a front page story is about a cop who didn't like the fact he was getting a parking ticket so he cuffed the parking cop, threw her in the squad and booked her. Of course she sues, and wins to the tune of 1.55 million dollars! She suffered a "sprained arm".

How did they come up with that amount? Who's paying for it? You got it, THE TAXPAYER. The lady gets her cut, the lawyers get a HUGE cut (driving the costs up to 2 million) and they funnel dollars back into the machine to grease the wheels of corruption.

The City That Works, brought to you by the Democratic Party of Assholes.

:mad:

Im pretty sure that it was taxpayers that awarded that amount...

• Members

Can we seriously stop calling everything "libs" or "pubs" you dumb mother {censored}ers? It has nothing to do with either party, both are {censored}ing retarded and both are responsible for the rampant PC demanding, sue happy, pussifcation of society. Jesus {censored}ing christ.

Now, having said that, tying a guy up and throwing him in a van is suspect. Hooray you caught a bad guy... You're still being dumb. If anything, just tie his hands and hold him personally. Or, ya know, just hold him personally. Sit on him. Don't bound and gag the guy then lock him up somewhere. Yeah, NOTHING bad will come of that. Dip{censored}.

• Members

Can we seriously stop calling everything "libs" or "pubs" you dumb mother {censored}ers? It has nothing to do with either party, both are {censored}ing retarded and both are responsible for the rampant PC demanding, sue happy, pussifcation of society. Jesus {censored}ing christ.

Now, having said that, tying a guy up and throwing him in a van is suspect. Hooray you caught a bad guy... You're still being dumb. If anything, just tie his hands and hold him personally. Or, ya know, just hold him personally. Sit on him. Don't bound and gag the guy then lock him up somewhere. Yeah, NOTHING bad will come of that. Dip{censored}.

lib

Archived