late-model ford expeditions?

mlwarriner

• Members

anybody here own/drive one?

we're pondering a rental car for a long road trip we're making, and in the interest of space we're looking at either a mini van, or a full-size SUV - probably an expedition.

we're also pondering sleeping in the vehicle one night, on the road.

how well does the third-row seat disappear? what about the second row? can it be removed easily?

discuss.

• Members

I have an older one that has the removable 3rd seat. The newer ones fold away. To answer the Perfessor's comment, I've put exactly $800 worth of non-scheduled maintenance into my Expedition. It's a 1999 model. :)

• Members

I rented one of the big Chevy's for 10 days on vacation last year and I got a little too used to it. It drove fantastically, was really, really comfortable and the room was awesome. I would have had zero issues with putting a few sleeping bags in the back if needed. The gas mileage kinda sucked, but it was a great ride.

• Members

I rented one of the big Chevy's for 10 days on vacation last year and I got a little too used to it. It drove fantastically, was really, really comfortable and the room was awesome. I would have had zero issues with putting a few sleeping bags in the back if needed. The gas mileage kinda sucked, but it was a great ride.

does the middle row of seats remove easily?

was thinking about pulling the second row, and using the third row for seating.

or does the second row disappear easily if left in?

• Members

does the middle row of seats remove easily?

was thinking about pulling the second row, and using the third row for seating.

or does the second row disappear easily if left in?

Everything folded down pretty nicely and yes, there's quite a bit of room. If I was going to do a long road trip, I'd be tempted into looking at class B motorhomes though.

• Members

Our 3rd row folds down easy in our honda. I would think you could sleep ok in it esp if the kids slept in their seats. a futon mattress might work in the beck. Not sure about other kinds of vans though.

instead of renting though you might try taking the SUV and using that money to stay in a hotel...price line .com we got rooms for $40 a night. You just need to know your stopping point for that part of the trip.

• Members

Everything folded down pretty nicely and yes, there's quite a bit of room. If I was going to do a long road trip, I'd be tempted into looking at class B motorhomes though.

the motorhomes i looked into were going to be over a grand for the week. i can get the SUV for just over 400 for the week.

• Members

Our 3rd row folds down easy in our honda. I would think you could sleep ok in it esp if the kids slept in their seats. a futon mattress might work in the beck. Not sure about other kinds of vans though.

instead of renting though you might try taking the SUV and using that money to stay in a hotel...price line .com we got rooms for $40 a night. You just need to know your stopping point for that part of the trip.

we're going to rent either way, as none of our vehicles are reliable enough for the trip.

and the point behind a vehicle large enough to sleep in is so that we're not stuck to a specific distance per day. what happens if we're too tired to go on but we're still 200 miles from our hotel room? and if there's no available rooms where we feel we have to stop?

traveling with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, we feel like this is just the better way to go. YMMV.

:idk:

• Members

we're going to rent either way, as none of our vehicles are reliable enough for the trip.

and the point behind a vehicle large enough to sleep in is so that we're not stuck to a specific distance per day. what happens if we're too tired to go on but we're still 200 miles from our hotel room? and if there's no available rooms where we feel we have to stop?

traveling with a 6 year old and a 2 year old, we feel like this is just the better way to go. YMMV.

Oh I agree just thought it might make it more cost effective. My only other thought is if one of you is able to sleep while the other drive that also might work.

• Members

Oh I agree just thought it might make it more cost effective. My only other thought is if one of you is able to sleep while the other drive that also might work.

renting a hotel room each way is going to cost about the same amount as the difference between a full-sized car and a large SUV. it's basically a wash, cost-wise.

convenience-wise, the SUV wins big-time. that way we're not bound to a specific distance per day, and we can all stretch out and be more comfortable. yeah, the gas mileage is going to suck, but not enough to make a huge cost difference.

meh. i think in the end, comfort and convenience are going to win. :)

• Members

and neither of us are able to sleep while the other drives. she scares me too much :D:D

• Members

I have a 2005 Limited edition/model. The only upkeep I've had to do was new brakes and new tires. Thass it. Of course I take care of and pamper my vehicles with every 25,000 mile services, etc.. Keep it clean, inside and out. I've put nearly 50k miles on it since late November 2007 and it's easily the best vehicle I've had.

I initially had reservations about trading in my 2007 F150 Lariat for it, but I'd never go back now. I just passed 90k miles on it last night, and plan on keeping it easily til 200k or so. I just love the darned thing. Can't wait to get another.

• Members

Sounds like a good plan! Also, keeping the mileage off of your car and putting it on something that is someone else's problem is darn near worth the price of the rental on its own. Are you planning on taking a portable DVD player for the kids?

• Members

Sounds like a good plan! Also, keeping the mileage off of your car and putting it on something that is someone else's problem is darn near worth the price of the rental on its own. Are you planning on taking a portable DVD player for the kids?

it's not about keeping miles off of my cars (my "new" car has about 180,000 on it and the others are about 190,000 and 205,000), but the fact that none of our cars are trustworthy enough to make the trip.

and yes, we've got a movie player to take along. assuming, of course, that our rental doesn't have one built in :D

• Members

it's not about keeping miles off of my cars (my "new" car has about 180,000 on it and the others are about 190,000 and 205,000), but the fact that none of our cars are trustworthy enough to make the trip.

and yes, we've got a movie player to take along. assuming, of course, that our rental doesn't have one built in
:D

Mine has one built in, but unbeknownst to ME, when you remove the stock radio/CD player/deck, it no longer works! :(

Still, I'd rather have my Alpine deck unit... It's not like I spend much time in the 2nd and 3rd rows. :lol: :lol:

I may upgrade to a unit that does in-dash DVD though next Spring. I have a decent amount of $$$ invested in the sound already... It thumps and bumps pretty damn good! :thu:

Archived