Help please, valuation needed: 1962 Jazz Bass

madmax100

• Members

Hi guys,

A few of you might remember me making a thread about this before, I'm making a new one as I have just got the required pictures and the old thread is dead. So here's the deal: My step-granddad is looking to sell his bass asap, and it's be great if anyone could give a general idea of the value so he knows approximately what to ask for it. It's a 1962, pre-CBS jazz bass. He bought it in 1971. It was finished in natural when he bought it, and it has been re-lacquered since. By the time he had it re-lacquered, the headstock decal had rubbed off so it is not present on the headstock. It is also missing the thumbrest. Apart from that it's in very good condition, and hasn't been played very much. The date stamp is present in the neck pocket (although a little worse for wear): 4DEC62A (4th december 1962, if i'm not mistaken.). Because it is a very late 1962, the serial number on the neckplate might not be what you expect, however i've looked this up and found the following info:

L-Series (1963 to late 1965)

Serial number on neckplate preceded with an "L". Considered Pre-CBS (even though CBS bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen on a late 1962 model.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963

L20000 to L55000 = 1964

L55000 to L99999 = 1965

The serial on the plate is L00934, so it seems to check out. You'll see it in the pics anyway, as follows:

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

Thanks in advance, any questions, just ask :)

• Members

Hi guys,

A few of you might remember me making a thread about this before, I'm making a new one as I have just got the required pictures and the old thread is dead. So here's the deal: My step-granddad is looking to sell his bass asap, and it's be great if anyone could give a general idea of the value so he knows approximately what to ask for it. It's a 1962, pre-CBS jazz bass. He bought it in 1971. It was finished in natural when he bought it, and it has been re-lacquered since. By the time he had it re-lacquered, the headstock decal had rubbed off so it is
not
present on the headstock. It is also missing the thumbrest. Apart from that it's in very good condition, and hasn't been played very much. The date stamp is present in the neck pocket (although a little worse for wear): 4DEC62A (4th december 1962, if i'm not mistaken.). Because it is a very late 1962, the serial number on the neckplate might not be what you expect, however i've looked this up and found the following info:

L-Series (1963 to late 1965)

Serial number on neckplate preceded with an "L". Considered Pre-CBS (even though CBS bought Fender in January 1965).
Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen on a late 1962 model.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963

L20000 to L55000 = 1964

L55000 to L99999 = 1965

The serial on the plate is L00934, so it seems to check out. You'll see it in the pics anyway, as follows:

IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg
IMG_1235.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg

Thanks in advance, any questions, just ask
:)

The serial # looks good for the time frame. Are you positive the neck code starts with a 4? The first number on the neck butt refers to the model of instrument. A P bass is 5, a jazz 7. A 4 would denote a Jazzmaster! Regardless, it's not the day of the month. The pics of the pots are too blurry to make out dates, but they are pots manufactured by Stackpole (304) and the numbers immediately following 304 are YYWK; ie. 304-6248. in other words, manufacturer=Stackpole 48th week of 1962 as an example. The pickguard, control plate, bridge and pickup screws are not original. The pickguard itself, if original, denotes a custom color. Better pics of the control, pickup, and neck cavitys may show some leftover color from the original finish. It would not be originally Sunburst with that pickguard. It looks like there may be some black paint I'm seeing, but the picture quality makes me unsure.

The fact that the finish is not original, the headstock decal is missing and, at least, a few other items are not original the value is less than half of what an all original instrument would sell for. Given the current economy, not a good time to sell!

Archived