Craigslist

Thunderbroom

• Members

I have gotten weary of spending so much time trying to hook up with potential buyers at places other than my house. Mainly cause it takes so much time, even though the meeting place is nearby.

people are late or don't even show or call to let me know, and I've waited a half hour or more.

and then have to endure the bargaining and chatting etc.

one can spend a farkin hour and end up not making a sale -- sheesh!

But sometimes it works out; is it worth my time? is it worth all that to generate $10 or wutever?

Hrm :rolleyes:

also, with ebay, one's packaging time and delivery to post office/UPS add up too.

• Moderators

I have gotten weary of spending so much time trying to hook up with potential buyers at places other than my house.

Yeah, that would suck. Which is why I very subtly suggested he might want to have me sell some of the stuff for him from one of my houses. ;)

• Members

CL is a mixed bag.

I would definitely set up an alternate email address to use with it.

I've sold a bunch of stuff and bought a bunch of stuff.

Have you thought about just renting a rehearsal space?

doesn't YFC have somewhere you can store your PA?

I know you have a pile of stuff now, and you were pretty careful about buying it, shame to dump it.

Post it here first!

C>

• Members

A lot of it depends on how competitive your local craigslist is. If you're selling a drum kit, and lots of other people are selling their comparable sets for really low prices, you're going to have to match. I've had stuff on Craigslist sell right away, and I've also had stuff languish on there for months and never selling at all.

I've had a few lowballers, but nothing too bad. I sold a little Genz Benz acoustic amp for $200, far below what I could get on eBay. The guy came over, played with it for a long time and then offered me $150. I told him no, and he immediately paid me my asking price.

I put in fair offers to some sellers that they might think are lowballs, but I know the value of an item and it seems a lot of sellers think their stuff is worth a lot more than it really is. Sorry, but you're not going to be able to sell that guitar you bought at Guitar Center for $25 less than you paid.

• Members

Reading these posts, I'm optimistic.

While I'm willing offer great deals on my gear, I'm not going to give any of it away. I'll take it to MI and store it in my inlaw's basement before I do that.

With that in mind, you could probably post on the CL ads up here too, if you're planning on coming up sometime soon anyway.

• Members

I've had pretty good luck on Craigslist. Here's a few things I do;

1) Use a secondary email

2) Only use first names

3) Try to meet at a well visited shopping center parking lot, but if they want to try something, I'll set it up for them in my garage

4) Ca$h is King!

5) Never be afraid to back of a deal. Sometimes I get aggressive emails or people who don't understand a lower offer from an insult.

6) When buying something really put it through the ringer, go in with a "this is probably broke" attitude.

7) I usually bribe a friend to come along with coffee or something.

Archived