Strings guitar vs bass

JohnnyDD

• Members

Just picked up a Squier Affinity P Bass and the 15 watt amp for $50. A little something for the wife to learn on.

I play guitar & I'm fine with the house brand Sam Ash guitar strings that were for under a buck. They are pretty close to the D'addarios I had been using; at least for basement playing. However, I'm at a loss about bass strings. Need advice on low cost bass strings. Given the bass gear at hand, what will suffice, string-wise? I hear rumblings that the lowest cost bass strings are pretty worthless.

Peace.

• Members

I would suggest the Dean Markley Solid Bass strings they are on average $20 bucks great feel and last on average 3 months. They are what I use all the time and they are cheap I've never had them break or ever put on a bad set.

I'd suggest them. However other popular cheapie sets are GHS boomers, and Ernie Balls.

• Members

I get my strings from webstrings.com

This^ For $12-15/set you can experiment with different materials (SS or Nickel) and different finishes (flats or rounds) without breaking the bank. They're easily comparable to D'Addario or similar tier strings. I use them on all my basses, but I still use DRs on my guitars. I just don't like their guitar strings. Too bright.

• Members

This^ For $12-15/set you can experiment with different materials (SS or Nickel) and different finishes (flats or rounds) without breaking the bank. They're easily comparable to D'Addario or similar tier strings. I use them on all my basses, but I still use DRs on my guitars. I just don't like their guitar strings. Too bright.

Hmmm, you must be a real bassist. I was a guitarist first, and I buy my guitar strings from webstrings.com too, well, except for 1 guitar that I put black coated strings on (both for the look as well as to calm down the HOT pups that are in it), and one that I use DR pure blues on.

• Members

If low price is what you're after, this might be one of your best options.

SIT Power Wounds are rather affordable

Some Snarling Dogs

BTW, here are my experiences with the above strings.

Webstrings - I tried these once several years ago, and I didn't care for them. I recall thinking they sounded fairly dead, and the string windings were a bit uneven. It's entirely possible the strings are higher quality now.

SIT Power Wounds - There are manufacturers who use these strings standard and for good reason IMO. They're solid strings for the money.

Snarling Dogs - I only used these once when I was still a bass newb. Since I was a bass newb, I can't recall how they played or sounded. :idk:

• Members

Bass strings normally can cost four times more then guitar ones. Since you mention you like daddario string sound for guitar, suggests you just go ahead and get daddarios for your bass. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL170TP-Twin-Pack-Bass-Guitar-Strings?sku=100156

Two pack works out to 12.50 each set for the price. Which is less then buying single set pkg.

Archived