Audere or East?

sub5ound

• Members

I got a little bonus at work and I finally have a few bucks to spend on gear...but not a new bass. So I have been thinking about a drop in pre for my jazz bass. Just wondering if anyone had experience with these, respectively. I like the "no-solder" factor that Audere offers and I have heard great things about East. Help! Soundclips maybe? Quick, before I spend it on an SX or something.

• Members

I'd spend money on a new pickups before I'd consider install a pre.

In most cases, I'd agree. But I really love my Audere. If you have pups in a Jazz that you like at all, adding a JZ3 gives you 3 tone ranges (with the Z switch) and the Blend will give you more usable mixtures of the pups than you had passive. PLUS the Audere is transparent enough to still give you passive tone.

• Members

Given the positive experiences I've had with East preamps in Skjold basses, and the issues with shorts that L-1329's been having with his Audere, I'd probably go for the J-Retro in this situation. If you decide to go the pickup route, I'd talk to Larry at Aero Instrument-I'm sure he can wind something that's to your tastes. :cool:

• Members

Given the positive experiences I've had with East preamps in Skjold basses, and the issues with shorts that L-1329's been having with his Audere, I'd probably go for the J-Retro in this situation. If you decide to go the pickup route, I'd talk to Larry at Aero Instrument-I'm sure he can wind something that's to your tastes.
:cool:

Link to L-1329's thread?

• Members

Link to L-1329's thread?

I've had issues with installing the 3ZB in a Warmoth, but I hold none of that against Audere. The real problems I've had are due to getting a good, solid pickup ground installed on both pickups. Audere pre's have to have pickup pole piece grounding installed if your pups don't already have it, and the grounds cannot have any shorts to function correctly. I have an Audere 3ZB in my fretless LeCompte also and really like it, but even as good as that installation is I did have to fix one short in a pickup ground. My advice is to have an experienced, skilled pro do the install even though the jazz control plate is prewired. The real tricky part is getting the pickup grounds installed, and most pickups will probably need that done. Also to add, the customer service from Audere is second to none. He is a great help if you need it, and really cared about helping me get my pre installed and working properly. I do not want to replace the Audere in that bass, but I'm putting in an OBP just to eliminate current and future problems.

• Members

I was thinking about just dropping the Audere in my jazz...do you foresee me having the same problems?

Not neccessarily, I would bet I am in the vast minority of people who have problems like these with the Audere, and mine was not the prewired control plate, but a seperate installation. You do need to look at the back of your pickups to see if they have a pole piece grounding strip and wire lead installed, or if you are going to have to install one. It's not hard to do, but getting it to ground every pole, have no shorts and be a good stable ground is all important to an Audere system. It is a very good sounding, and high quality preamp, but it is a little unique in how it works and to install. Audere's website does go over how to ground the pickups. I'm not sure how you would do it if your pickups are completely sealed and you cannot see any exposed bottomo parts of the pole pieces. First thing is to just open your bass and see what you have to work with.:cool:

• Members

I do like my current jazz pups, I would just like a little more oomph with some added sizzle when I need it.

Hmmm. Sizzle is not what I would get an Audere for. I mean it will let you EQ your tone, but it will still be good passive tone, not a processed sound, which is what comes to mind when you say "sizzle".

Archived