GK MB2-500

Phantasm

• Members

I've been using a GK 2001RB for quite some time now with my original projects, and I got into a cover band and started using it with them also. The problem is that now that we're playing a lot, the 2001RB is kind of heavy to move over and over again.

So I decided to look for a 1001RB to lighten the load, and I found this:

639118.jpg

3.8lbs, 500W. Hrm...

I go to Guitar Center and try it out and it actually sounds pretty good.

Hmmmmm....

I went ahead and ordered one from RMC Audio and tried it tonight at a full gig. The sound is fantastic, very GK, and very similar to the 2001RB. The MB2 actually sounds a little less cluttered on the low end with the same settings which was a pleasant surprise. The sound got lots of thumbs up from the band after the initial comments that it looked like a toy and not an amp!

My only complaint: the DI, if it's post, is level affected by the master volume for the amp. This is kind of unforgivable; I had to switch to pre to get a constant signal level. There's no excuse why another knob couldn't be added to provide a line out signal independent of the master volume!

But it looks like for now (knock on wood) I can leave the big case home and pack this little guy in the side pocket of my Sadowsky bag.

• Members

i went one step further and got this:

617269.jpg

essentially the same head, in a 2x10 neo combo. 300 watts to the internals, and i can get the full 500 with an 8ohm extension cab.

i plan to use my schroeder 1212L with it if needed, for a killer big-gig rig that weighs in under 80 pounds.

:cool:

• Members

others GK have them..and they are pretty useful (and fun)

played a gig with the house gear (GK 700rb and GK cab) and if i wanted extra volume i had it in 3 places ..the volume, booster and DI level.. plus with the DI level you can adjust if the sound guy has you mixed to low and play on and not give a damn :cop:

• Members

others GK have them..and they are pretty useful (and fun)

played a gig with the house gear (GK 700rb and GK cab) and if i wanted extra volume i had it in 3 places ..the volume, booster and DI level.. plus with the DI level you can adjust if the sound guy has you mixed to low and play on and not give a damn
:cop:

Twist that di out level up if I am mixing, and you will sound like ass.

• Members

I never met a GK I didn't like.

I'm gassing to try their Fusion equivalent, the MB Fusion:

products_mb_proto_19.jpg

- 500 watts @ 4 ohms. 350 watts @ 8 ohms

- All tube preamp (Three 12AX7's)

- Dual input gain and master volume (footswitchable)

- Four band active EQ

- Variable contour with mid frequency select

- Deep and bright switch

- 14dB pad

- Effects loop and tuner out with mute

- XLR out with pre/post EQ and ground Iitt

- Two Speakon outputs

- 4.5 Ibs.

• Members

products_mb_proto_19.jpg

- Four band active EQ

- Deep and bright switch

- 14dB pad

- Two Speakon outputs

- 4.5 Ibs.

the mad scientist in me wants to have kindness mutilate the MB Fusion into my MB combo...

• Members

Just picked one up last night as a back-up amp. I will give it a whirl today at practice. Good to know about the DI. I usually run the di pre-eq though.

I predict you'll find it 100% rock and roll amazing then, especially if you are a fan of the GK sound currently.

I'm going to check the manual to make 100% sure about the pre/post thing.

• Members

products_mb_proto_19.jpg

- Four band active EQ

- Deep and bright switch

- 14dB pad

- Two Speakon outputs

- 4.5 Ibs.

I saw that. I think it was $150 more for that one.

• Members

products_mb_proto_19.jpg

- Four band active EQ

- Deep and bright switch

- 14dB pad

- Two Speakon outputs

- 4.5 Ibs.

:mad::mad: now WHY did you have to go and show me that now?!?!:mad::mad:

This GAS will never go away :(

• Members

I saw that. I think it was $150 more for that one.

Yeah. Depending on where you look, $100 to $200 more. I tried to get the local GC to get one in. They said they would, but, well, this one is really lacking on bass anything, and never seem to have any clue about their supposed GK line. (If they have a GK cab, you're lucky, but don't expect them to know anything about it.)

• Members

I predict you'll find it 100% rock and roll amazing then, especially if you are a fan of the GK sound currently.

I'm going to check the manual to make 100% sure about the pre/post thing.

Absolutely kicked ass! Man I love these little amps. Plenty of power, great sound and fits in my bag. If I keep on doing covers, and not recording very much, I may unload the 800, the 4-pro and the V-6. Get the little mark tube just to round things out.

• Members

The 550 had knobs that were somehow powered to return to presets IIRC.

Oh right, yeah... interesting approach, but ultimately not so necessary. I prefer the Genz approach of having toneshaping switches, those are really handy and I use them a fair bit (via the footswitch, of course).

• Members

Although I fully agree that G-K is awesome, I'd never turn my nose up at Peavey - I've probably played well over 500 paying gigs with some sort of Peavey, and have never been let down by one...

- georgestrings

nothing wrong with peavey..got it cheap and it does it's job..only i spend a lot of time searching for 'my sound'(:rolleyes:) only to go play a gig with a GK 700 that left me :eek: set flat

• Members

Absolutely kicked ass! Man I love these little amps. Plenty of power, great sound and fits in my bag. If I keep on doing covers, and not recording very much, I may unload the 800, the 4-pro and the V-6. Get the little mark tube just to round things out.

Yep, did my 2nd gig with the MB2 last night... I think the 2001RB will be staying home for a while at this rate. Got lots of compliments on the sound.

Archived