question for ebay sellers, what do i do now???

poomwah

• Members

Ok, I sold a bass on ebay. I only have enough in the bank to cover the listing fees. Other than that I am flat broke. I figured I would pay the closing fees and shipping with the money from the sale.

But, paypal says I can't touch the money until the guy gets the bass and leaves positive feedback. Its bad enough they took 10 bucks out of money I can't even use.

Without that money I can't send the bass. And when they charge my paypal account for the final value fees, paypal will take it out of my bank account and overdraft me.

What do I do???

• Members

Ok, I sold a bass on ebay. I only have enough in the bank to cover the listing fees. Other than that I am flat broke. I figured I would pay the closing fees and shipping with the money from the sale.

But, paypal says I can't touch the money until the guy gets the bass and leaves positive feedback. Its bad enough they took 10 bucks out of money I can't even use.

Without that money I can't send the bass. And when they charge my paypal account for the final value fees, paypal will take it out of my bank account and overdraft me.

What do I do???

You could try to explain to the buyer that he needs to leave positive feedback so that the money will be released to you.

Chances are that he won't do it, but I really don't see anything else that you can do.

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back. Luckily payday was like two days away so I had some money to ship the thing.

• Members

Paypal had mentioned something about the buyer having 21 days to complain about the item.

So does that mean the guy gets to beat the crap out of my bass for 3 weeks and then he can say he doesn't want it and send it back?

No. Once ebay/paypal gets a shipment confirmation paypal will release the money to you

• Members

That's not as bad then.

The email paypal sent said the seller had 21 days to complain and that they had to leave positive feedback before it would be released.

No. Once ebay/paypal gets a shipment confirmation paypal will release the money to you

• Members

The seller paid right away. It shows up in paypal as a completed payment with a pending amount. Of course they already took their fees out of it.

I thought you didn't have to pay fees on a personal account

I had a buyer who once said theyd send me the money once theyd recieved a shipping confirmation. But after i thought about it for 2 seconds, i was like.... nah!

• Members

I've sold a number of things on the bay and I have never had that happen. I almost always have used the funds from the payments to pay for the shipping. I haven't sold anything real recently, but that doesn't sound correct. I would call paypal, and explain the situation. You did charge them for shipping did you not? :idk:

• Members

I've sold a number of things on the bay and I have never had that happen. I almost always have used the funds from the payments to pay for the shipping. I haven't sold anything real recently, but that doesn't sound correct. I would call paypal, and explain the situation. You did charge them for shipping did you not?
:idk:

They changed it last year, around October, so that until you get positive feedback, or 21 days have passed, you can't access the money. another means of pushign the casual seller out, and only allowing 'serious", well funded sellers to do business. It's effing stupid, and the main reason I nolonger sell stuff there.

That being said, the policy has been in place for over a year, and there have been a number of threads, on this very board, about it. OP should have known better. Sucky situation, but the info was available ahead of time.

• Members

Thanks to most of you, the ones that posted construtively anyway. Pointing out that someone should have known better when they are asking advice is a pretty crappy thing to do.

Anyway, the guy was cool enough to leave positive feedback to speed things up, so I have the money now. Now I'm just trying to sort out shipping. He wants it either shipped to hs gf in missouri before a certain date or to his place in kentucky after a certain date. Either way he wants it shipped tomorrow, which I have no problem doing, the only prob is, it won't get to missouri quick enough, and it will get to kentucky too soon lol

• Members

Thanks to most of you, the ones that posted construtively anyway. Pointing out that someone should have known better when they are asking advice is a pretty crappy thing to do.

Anyway, the guy was cool enough to leave positive feedback to speed things up, so I have the money now. Now I'm just trying to sort out shipping. He wants it either shipped to hs gf in missouri before a certain date or to his place in kentucky after a certain date. Either way he wants it shipped tomorrow, which I have no problem doing, the only prob is, it won't get to missouri quick enough, and it will get to kentucky too soon lol

If you don't ship it to his Paypal-verified address, you won't be protected by Paypal's policies. :idea:

• Members

Thanks crow

I got the financial aspect covered, now its just figuring the logistics on shipping. He wants it shipped tomorrow, but doesn't want to receive it until Monday. Ups said they can't do it. That either I ship tomorrow and he gets it Thursday, or I wait till after christmas to send it.

you need a cash top up...it will be cheaper to ask around rather than get entangled

bad call old chap

best of luck

Archived