OT: DirecTV Sucks again.

zachoff

• Members

Not only did they dump VS, but they raised their rates. They're up $10 on the packages, $2 for HD, and $2 for extra boxes. Awesome. Now I get {censored} service for even more money!

I called and tried to cancel... Again. Got the cancellation fee cock block... Again. Then the f'ing lady says "I can give you a $10 credit on your bill for the next year." and I said, "Does that extend my contract?" and she said "Yes." I said, "Are you serious? This is how you sucker people into extending contracts? My contract is up in May and I fully expect to cancel at 8AM on May 1st. I can't believe you guys." {censored} DirecTV

• Members

im in the process of working with their appeals department because they tried to wack me for over $400 when i cancelled.

there were no current deals like 12 months at price x when you sign up for 16 months types of deals going on when we moved so i figured we were in the clear when i cancelled. turns out that because we had a DVR i was locked into a two year contract that i didnt sign. they told me by paying the bill that i agreed to this contract. who reads every {censored}ing word on the back side of the bill?

so i cancelled and got the dish network for like half price and get hit with this $400 fee from directv. they are crooks, big time.

• Members

im in the process of working with their appeals department because they tried to wack me for over $400 when i cancelled.

there were no current deals like 12 months at price x when you sign up for 16 months types of deals going on when we moved so i figured we were in the clear when i cancelled. turns out that because we had a DVR i was locked into a two year contract that i didnt sign. they told me by paying the bill that i agreed to this contract. who reads every {censored}ing word on the back side of the bill?

so i cancelled and got the dish network for like half price and get hit with this $400 fee from directv. they are crooks, big time.

Yup, that's what happened to me. I upgraded to the HD-DVR and they extended my contract. It's in the fine print. ;)

• Members

I tried to upgrade to HD but, seeing as how I've been a DirecTV customer for around 10 years, I felt that I should get a little luv, stupid me. No offers for temporary discounts or anything because all offers extended are only for new customers. I then asked if I could cancel, go somewhere else for a year and come back for the discounts. They explained that, once I was in the system, I would never be a new enough customer to get a discount. So, I'm still rockin' the original TIVO and dual live buffer. It's a pretty cool, Oh well. I'll try U-verse when it comes available but that won't be for a while.

• Members

I'm looking at Dish Network. I've got to get off Charter. They don't carry Vs. in HD, they never carry the Preds games in HD (the Fox Sports Net channel will show the game, but the FSN-HD channel will have something else on, and when I call to get it fixed they never understand what I mean) and they keep sticking commercials over gameplay. The problem is, they're my only option for high-speed (well ... compared to dial-up they're high-speed) Internet right now.

• Members

I'm looking at Dish Network. I've got to get off Charter. They don't carry Vs. in HD....

That's the thing though, they all suck. So, it's just a matter of figuring out which flavor of suck (no disrespect Lug) you want to live with. The version of DirecTV that I have includes a dual live buffer, which allows me to switch back and forth between two tuners, which is very cool and something that I haven't seen anywhere else. Until someone else gets into that game, I'll be using DirecTV.

• Members

That's the thing though, they all suck. So, it's just a matter of figuring out which flavor of suck (no disrespect Lug) you want to live with. The version of DirecTV that I have includes a dual live buffer, which allows me to switch back and forth between two tuners, which is very cool and something that I haven't seen anywhere else. Until someone else gets into that game, I'll be using DirecTV.

Nah, I had Dish before DirecTV and switched because Dish failed to carry OLN after the NHL lockout. It's come full circle now that DirecTV dropped VS. :facepalm:

I never had problems with Dish though... It's who I'll go to when I'm not longer with DirecTV.

• Members

I've been a Dish Network customer for years and have enjoyed the service and programming I've received for less $ than some of my family members are paying in the same area for Direct TV. The only thing I have to complain about is we still don't get our {censored}ing locals in HD, they've been "working on it" for 2 years now, but so has Direct TV so we'll see who wins.

• Members

I've been a Dish Network customer for years and have enjoyed the service and programming I've received for less $ than some of my family members are paying in the same area for Direct TV. The only thing I have to complain about is we still don't get our {censored}ing locals in HD, they've been "working on it" for 2 years now, but so has Direct TV so we'll see who wins.

My local channels are in HD & have been for a year and a half. My mom & dad have Dish and their locals are in HD as well. Weird. Must be a market thing. :idk: Are you talking locals like ABC, CBS, and NBC or other local channels?

• Members

The only thing I have to complain about is we still don't get our {censored}ing locals in HD, they've been "working on it" for 2 years now, but so has Direct TV so we'll see who wins.

they had to put two dishes up on my house to get locals in HD. one points at the main satallite for my area and the other points back where they beam down the locals. its in the back corner of my house so i dont really care about having two dishes up there.

• Members

I'm looking at Dish Network. I've got to get off Charter. They don't carry Vs. in HD, they never carry the Preds games in HD (the Fox Sports Net channel will show the game, but the FSN-HD channel will have something else on, and when I call to get it fixed they never understand what I mean) and they keep sticking commercials over gameplay. The problem is, they're my only option for high-speed (well ... compared to dial-up they're high-speed) Internet right now.

Dish FTW. They do the contracts, too, so be cautious, but they've been pretty good to me

As for the interwebz, I'm using a wireless network called Clear. It costs half as much as my old cable modem, and goes nearly as fast (unnoticeable difference).

• Members

It is my opinion that Tv services, like Cell phone providers, all suck. It's just that you have to find a level of suck you can deal with.

Yep. I've had problems with every major provider, except Verizon, who I paid my roommate for. I believe he had some issues with them, though I don't recall what.

So yeah. If I'm going to have issues, I might as well have them with someone who can give me every football game and a large HD selection. :idk:

• Members

My local channels are in HD & have been for a year and a half. My mom & dad have Dish and their locals are in HD as well. Weird. Must be a market thing.
:idk:
Are you talking locals like ABC, CBS, and NBC or other local channels?

Yessir; CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS.. it's not that i watch them all the time but I would like to see College Football and Basketball, NFL and MLB in HD. For some reason it's available pretty much everywhere in MN and IA except in my area and a few surrounding counties.

• Members

I don't care what it costs- I just can't wait to NOT have fukkin' Comcast anymore. Which is at LEAST as long as i'm in my condo... Next November. :facepalm:

My ripped DVD's look better than their "HD picture". It's nigh useless.

When i canceled my DirecTV they sent me a $400~ bill b/c my HD-DVR hadn't been received yet. After it was and I'd paid my last bill I got a check for the credit balance left over. Simple and easy.

• Members

They took lessons from the banksters and credit card companies....

Not under contract here but on DTV mainly for other family members.

IF they want a rate increase, my family members would probably OK shutting the brainwasher off for good since we have a few zillion DVD's and thousands of hours of family home video.

Maybe they'd like to split some of the formerly-DTV $$$ if I shut if off...hmmm?

• Members

It is my opinion that Tv services, like Cell phone providers, all suck. It's just that you have to find a level of suck you can deal with.

Bingo. Satellite and cable rates have risen much faster than general inflation over the past 20 years, and there doesn't seem to be any stopping it. I worked for Comcast for a year, and I can tell you flat out that while their actual service is good in some areas, the customer service sucks and their prices are outrageous.

I can't believe DirectTV hiked your bill $10 in a month! Since they dropped Versus, you can't watch WEC anymore.

My parents have Dish Network and they like it, although prices have risen steadily over the years as well.

I'm interesting to see what FiOS will be like once it comes to my area.

Once internet becomes insanely fast through FiOS and more widespread, we'll probably have more websites streaming television content for free. I know if you really dig, you can often watch PPV (UFC, boxing) for free on the web. I don't pay for premium channels either. If there's a show I really want to watch like HBO's Tru Blood, I'll just download it the day after it airs.

• Members

I can't believe DirectTV hiked your bill $10 in a month! Since they dropped Versus, you can't watch WEC anymore.

They hiked it $14/mo. I have HD and an extra box and can't watch WEC or NHL and when the playoffs come around I'll be mega-pissed.

Got an email back... Same old "we hold to our agreements that we know you didn't sign but are bound by simply by being our customer" bull{censored}. I'll wait to see if the BBB handles it.

• Members

I wonder if you could use an "I agreed to have Versus and NHL networks so hold to that agreement." arguement. You signed up for a service based on the channel line up. It's not unusual for rates to go up but a change in what you recieve is a change to the contract. The "you didn't sign but simply being our customer..." thing means every customer will pay a disconnection fee. Maybe they can describe exactly what you need to do to end your "contract"? And tell them that but don't threaten with "I'm going to switch to DISH", it's bad bargaining. Maybe a service call every other day for as long as it takes to get them to release you?

I've had Comcast for years since it was Mediaone, then Attbi, and now Comcast. They're a bit pricey but overall they've been OK, including service other than the "digital conversion" thing. I've heard too much about dishes and snow, and Verizon FIOS is driving me CRAZY with advertising and more so {censored} them. I'll stick with Comcast.

• Members

Well you have this to look forward to.

DirecTV 3D broadcasts coming in early 2010?

espn3dcamera_2_md.jpg

Finding itself with a wealth of a additional bandwidth thanks to a new satellite going up today, DirecTV may have already decided its first big addition will be 3D. Citing the always popular unnamed sources, HD Guru says we should prepare for a CES announcement that the bird will be up and running by March beaming down a collection of movies, sports and TV shows in 3D HD, requiring only a firmware upgrade on existing set-top boxes to tune into the new stations. UK satellite provider Sky has already tipped its hand about 2010 3D plans, with a newly freshened HDMI spec expected to ease things along and nearly every manufacturer either already producing compatible displays or planning to announce them in less than a week there's very little doubt remaining about whether broadcast 3D is coming home this year, only how and when.

Archived