How do you like your action set up?

no-logic

• Members

I like my basses set up with the action as low as possible and can put up with a little fret buzz to have it that way. I like to fret the string with as little effort as possible. But with some basses that is not possible and even if I really like the bass at first if I can't get the action nice and low it turns me off and I wind up selling the bass. Even though I usually didn't notice a little bit higher action while I was playing it with the band I still have it stuck in my head that this bass doesn't have low enough action. Am I being too picky? Should I just be happy getting the action as low as possible and shut the hell up and play it?

• Members

i like my action somewhere in the middle. sometimes i dig in a bit and if the strings were on the frets it would sound like crap.

i dont think you are being picky to want your action how you like it. in order to get super low action you need a very dialed in neck and level frets which may require a pro setup job. those other basses you couldnt get low enough prolly needed a fret leveling job and possibly a neck shim.

• Members

It depends. The five string has action that some may consider a little on the high side, but I like putting some muscle behind the notes on that one for a little more bite.

The six string has super-low action. It has a touch of buzz every now and again, but more of it is due to hand technique than the bass itself.

• Members

I set all of my basses to have .06-.07" on the G string through .09-.10" on the low B string measured at the open 12th fret. That is perfect for me, and makes all the basses feel very comfortable. With a lot of wildly different necks, it's nice to have a constant in the action.

Archived