got my vt pedal and im not that impressed

poomwah

• Members

I've been wanting one of these for a very long time. Now I've got one and I'm less than thrilled.

Maybe I've just learned more about how to use my eq and my amp sounds better than it did a year ago.

Maybe my playing style has improved or otherwise changed in a way that got me closer to the tone I wanted.

Maybe I'm using it wrong. If I use the suggested settings for svt all I seem to get is a boost in volume. Not a noticable change in tone. Doesn't seem like there is a difference in tone until you turn the character knob high enough to get distortion

Anybody else have this experience

• Members

i played around with the suggested settings for a while and i noticed that i had to take the level down a lot from all of them if i wanted to switch between that effect and anything else. the vt bass pedal is made to properly drive a power amp thats why its got that crazy output.

ill post the settings i use when i get home tonight. i pretty much leave it on all the time unless i switch over to my mxr m80 bass di pedal with the character switch engaged for more modern hard rock tone. my tone with the vt bass pedal isint crazy grindy or anythin just some emulated tube warmness i guess you could call it.

• Members

I don't have a VT but I like my Bass Driver DI and my RPM best when I drive it straight into a poweramp (completely bypass the amps preamp).

The SansAmps are preamps in their own right so I just use them fed into my amp's poweramp in or effects return (same thing).

They have so much eq of their own that it gets to weird cascading them into the amp's preamp.

My SansAmps blow away the preamps of all my amps (Peavey VB2, GK 1001RB, SVT Classic).

• Members

Man you cannot possibly have that kinda luck :p

Contact Tech21 support, and try fiddling with your input volume. I think the Character setting probably has a volume-sensitive compression-type effect, but I could be wrong...e.g. it does more depending on the input volume.

• Members

I was reading a review on the vt, and the reviewer mentioned how sensitive the knobs are, as an example he said one of his preferred settings had the character knob between 11 and 11:30 and said that a little bit makes a big difference. Is this true.

From 12 down, it doesn't do more than act like a tone knob, the only diff between seven and noon is a slight change in tone :/

• Members

Level - 1 O'clock

Mid - 9

Character - About 10:30

Drive - 8

Low and High at about 11:45

Gives my SWR a bit of warmth.

I find the gain on these things is disgusting. Way too clippy above 12 o'clock.

You using fresh a fresh battery? Hope you find a use for it.

Oh and I have my wet/dry effect mix on my amp at about 90% wet

• Members

The pedal is EQ + distortion. What are you expecting?

Check out this thread-

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607213&highlight=magic

Dude scopes the VT bass. It's a little more than a standard distortion, anyway, from what I can tell. Seems like the Character knob adds relatively balanced even order harmonics and the Drive knob adds distorted levels of even order harmonics. I could be reading those scopes wrong though :)

Poomwah, you might want to check that thread out to get more of a feel for what's going on too, as it describes how to "flatten" the eq as well.

• Members

The pedal is EQ + distortion. What are you expecting?

I was expecting it to do something more than just eq and distortion for 150 bucks.

There's nothing I can do with this that I can't do with my korg ax3000b

I expected an svt sound. I hooked it through my toneport and it doesn't sound like an ampeg

My hartke 3500 with the way I have the eq set sounds closer than the vt with the factory suggested setting

I guess I was expecting more, I should have done more research I guess, if I had known it was just distortion and eq, I would have gone a different route

• Moderators

I was expecting it to do something more than just eq and distortion for 150 bucks.

There's nothing I can do with this that I can't do with my korg ax3000b

I expected an svt sound. I hooked it through my toneport and it doesn't sound like an ampeg

My hartke 3500 with the way I have the eq set sounds closer than the vt with the factory suggested setting

I guess I was expecting more, I should have done more research I guess, if I had known it was just distortion and eq, I would have gone a different route

What does an SVT sound like?

Archived