got my vt pedal and im not that impressed

poomwah

• Moderators

I don't know how to define or describe the sound, but they don't sound like this

:lol:

I guess my point is just about anything is a combination of EQ and distortion and the various characteristics of each. If the VT gets you where you want easier than messing with other devices, it's great. But if you can get there with other equipment, it's redundant.

For me, an SVT is relatively clear and even with a lot of horsepower. It also has a more complicated EQ section than most amp of its era, which enables me to make very specific adjustments when needed. That's about it.

• Members

:lol:

I guess my point is just about anything is a combination of EQ and distortion and the various characteristics of each. If the VT gets you where you want easier than messing with other devices, it's great. But if you can get there with other equipment, it's redundant.

For me, an SVT is relatively clear and even with a lot of horsepower. It also has a more complicated EQ section than most amp of its era, which enables me to make very specific adjustments when needed. That's about it.

I can't get quite there with the other devices, the korg doesn't do a bad job, I tried a hartke bass attack which wasn't bad, but they aren't quite there. I had heard such great things that I thought this would do it, but to be honest, the amp modelling on my old zoom b1 sounded closer than this does. Like I said, I can get closer with just the eq on my amp

• Members

I can't get quite there with the other devices, the korg doesn't do a bad job, I tried a hartke bass attack which wasn't bad, but they aren't quite there. I had heard such great things that I thought this would do it, but to be honest, the amp modelling on my old zoom b1 sounded closer than this does. Like I said, I can get closer with just the eq on my amp

Sell all that junk and a kidney and buy an SVT and Fridge? :idk:

Kindness - what is the tone difference between the SVT from the 70s and the SVT Pro-2 in your opinion?

• Members

Here's an example of what I'm working with. Factory suggestions for svt and fliptop sound almost the same, the svat settings sound like you turned the tone down a little

I can make the exact same change with the tone knob on my bass, literally, no exaggeration. I set it up like a fliptop then set it up like an svt or I set it up like a fliptop then roll my tone knob on the bird down. Same result

• Members

Have you turned the volume way up dude? I think those harmonics and stuff are going to be more obvious standing a ways away from your cab and with the volume up a ways.

Also, have you tried it with a band? While I like the way SVTs sound, there's something special about the way they sit in a mix.

• Moderators

Here's an example of what I'm working with. Factory suggestions for svt and fliptop sound almost the same, the svat settings sound like you turned the tone down a little

I can make the exact same change with the tone knob on my bass, literally, no exaggeration. I set it up like a fliptop then set it up like an svt or I set it up like a fliptop then roll my tone knob on the bird down. Same result

The SVT setting is slightly scopped in the high mids, the Fliptop is not. If you are getting the same tone by rolling off your tone knob, you probably have already killed everything above the high mids on your amp or through your cabinet anyway. In that case, it makes sense that you can make the same adjustment through the VT or with your tone knob.

• Members

The SVT setting is slightly scopped in the high mids, the Fliptop is not. If you are getting the same tone by rolling off your tone knob, you probably have already killed everything about the high mids on your amp or through your cabinet anyway. In that case, it makes sense that you can make the same adjustment through the VT or with your tone knob.

This makes good sense. The tone knob just turns essentially rolls off the highs progressively as you turn the knob (shunts them to ground or whatever) from what I've learned. So it makes no sense that you could achieve the huge harmonic nastiness of the VT bass by scalping your highs.

What cabinet is Poomwah using?

• Members

I don't get the harmonic nastiness off an svt, that's my point. The only difference between the sound of my pedals flip top and svt settings is a SLIGHT treble reduction, that's it

I can put everything else at noon and the character knob hardly does anything, it just acts like a treble knob

But I talked to tech21. AWESOME customer service by the way. He had me check a bunch of things and decided the pedal needs to be sent in.

• Members

Sweet hibbity bibbity. You are like a magnet of broken crap. You should get a job at a used gear shop as a broken gear identifier - if you show the slightest bit of interest in it, they know it's broken
:)

They used to use me as a psycho detector. If a woman showed any interest in me, we knew she was a total lunatic.

Its really weird that I have these probs with new stuff. I recently made another purchase from gc from their used site, got here safe and sound, worked great

On an interesting note, I was told told that if I send the pedal back to mf, that they won't even test it, they will put it straight back into inventory and sell it to someone else. Nice huh

• Members

here is what i run it at

level - 9am

low - 1pm

mid - noon

high - noon

character - 11am

drive - 11am

I tried your settings on mine

It sounded the same whether it was on or off, lol

The only difference was that the led was on :p

Archived