pawn shop- had to say no

poomwah

• Members

When I first started playing I learned on an ibanez exb404. I really miss it, and for sentimental reasons, I keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced one.

Well the pawn shop had one, in a beat to hell case, no less. A very bad spray painted "hammered" finish, a big brush painted pot leaf, lots of scuffs in the head, but I figured I would get it, strip it down and repaint it. I was going to get it until I saw the split in the neck :(

Dammit

• Members

Bah, I hate it when that happens! By the way, I like those old pointy EX series basses as well. I'm always on the lookout for an EXB445. I missed a nice one on my local craigslist and haven't seen one since. They pop up on eBay every once in a while but they are really hit or miss.

• Members

I still play an exb 404 regularly. It was bought for me new, by a girlfriend sometime around '89 or so. It has that great black pointy headstock that has doubled as a deterrent at times, and the candied burgandy basswood body

The only changes I've made were to put a nice set of passive Bartolini pups and a new nut that fit the slightly unusual (at the time) strings I was playing.

I truly love that Bass and get more {censored} from fellow band members or other hangers on for still lugging around "that crappy Korean beginner bass". I stopped defending it a long time ago, and just plug the bitch in and let it do what it does.

It's very light, small, set up correctly, has a great neck for my hands, and the Bartolini's help give it just a little more umph.

A few years ago, I decided to get rid of a lot of my equipment, so I sold off some basses, amps, cabs, etc and left myself with the 404, and an Alvarez 6 string bass I'm rather fond of too. I didn't have the heart to get rid of either one.

We have a history, and they work fine for what I do.

Good luck in your quest, I can truly appreciate what you're after when trying to find another one.

• Members

Yeah, they were great. Mary ann has my old one now, and it has happy bunny stickers on it, lol

Come to think of it, the one I had wasn't a 404, I think it was a 504, it was still a 4 string, but it had black hardware and triangle inlays

• Members

Check this one out - it's an exb405 with two split-p pickups:

I had a dark blue one exactly like that... for the money it was an awesome playing and sounding bass.

Here are a couple recordings from 1989 I made with it... I was using a Roland BN15 (100ish watt 1x15" combo) and a Crate G60 (60 watt 1x12" guitar combo) as a sudo biamped rig... the band was recorded live in a room with vocals overdubbed via a Tascam 4 track cassette thing.

• Members

When I first started playing I learned on an ibanez exb404. I really miss it, and for sentimental reasons, I keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced one.

Well the pawn shop had one, in a beat to hell case, no less. A very bad spray painted "hammered" finish, a big brush painted pot leaf, lots of scuffs in the head, but I figured I would get it, strip it down and repaint it. I was going to get it until I saw the split in the neck
:(
Dammit

tosh!!!:facepalm:

• Members

It depends on the crack in the neck, where it's located, and how it affects the neck's structural integrity. How does the bass play as-is? Some cracks, depending on location, are little more than superficial. You can thin out some wood glue, force it down in the crack, and clamp it tight. If the split in the neck is severe enough to impede playability right now, I'd pass. If the bass is still serviceable before the repair, I'd take a second look.

• Members

Well, I went back to look at it again, it is palyable currently, its just that you run the risk of cutting yourself while playing lol.

So, for the hell of it, I offered him 50 bucks and he jumped at it.

So I guess I need to start a new bass day thread.

Hell, if nothing else, for 50 bucks I got a case and some spare parts for mary ann's exb

• Members

PICS! PICS! PICS!

If you can glue the crack together (or fill some if necessary), you can sand the back of the neck with fine grit sandpaper and refinish with tung oil or tru oil or any of the easy DIY finishes and get a uniform feel again.

Archived