OT: I always forget how much food you have to eat while "dieting"...

RSBro

• Members

Want to KEEP that weight off? Build lean muscle. ...
You run a lot and the moment you stop you start putting it back on.

This is me in spades. I ran my ass off (literally) a few times, and when I got hurt, or changed jobs (which changed my ability to get in run time) I just blow up. The other issue I I don't really bulk up in any noticeable way, I just change from fat to muscle and back (army cardio/calisthenics). I need a new system that takes >30 min/day,is relatively low impact (at least to start) and can be done with minimal upfront investment. You know, like an American ;)

• Members

Man, the over-complication of stuff that is out there is amazing. Do you want to lose weight? Cut your calorie intake so that you take in less than your burn off in. Eat pasta, eat pizza... eat ice cream for all I care, just eat less in calories than you burn off in a day.

Want to improve your health on TOP of losing weight? Eat good foods for your calories.

Want to KEEP that weight off? Build lean muscle. People who tell you that you should do lots of cardio in order to lose weight are really setting you up for failure. You'd be better off doing full body conditioning exercises for 20 minutes a day than you would running for an hour. You build lean muscle and that will help keep the weight off. You run a lot and the moment you stop you start putting it back on.

There are, of course, other things you can do to help with weight loss such as cutting down on the amount of time between meals... but the reality is that if I ate one 1500 calorie meal before I went to bed every night, I'd still lose weight.

So you're still the only one that knows anything over here, hmm? Good to see some things never change.

• Members

I'm determined that your average joe can safely and effectively go from a lethargic 255lb man, to a lean fit 180/185lb man in a reasonable amount of time. By the way, i'm 6' even, so 180 won't be an unhealthy weight.

:wave:

I am 6'1", 240~245 and inactive. I decided to get healthy so I started eating vegetables, fruit, lean red meat, fish, etc. and stopped going out to eat so much. I began hiking a few times per week and lost 3 pounds a week for months. My weight loss leveled out at 180~185 and have started going to group fitness classes twice per week (strength on the ball and abs/back). I'm healthy, feel great and sleep great. I didn't do any crash diets or crazy schedule things. It can be done if you change the way you live.

• Members

This is me in spades. I ran my ass off (literally) a few times, and when I got hurt, or changed jobs (which changed my ability to get in run time) I just blow up. The other issue I I don't really bulk up in any noticeable way, I just change from fat to muscle and back (army cardio/calisthenics). I need a new system that takes >30 min/day,is relatively low impact (at least to start) and can be done with minimal upfront investment. You know, like an American
;)

I bought a kettlebell and instructional DVD; I remember you seemed interested in the discussion on ebassist.

I haven't started it yet, but I'll let you know how I like it.

• Members

I bought a kettlebell and instructional DVD; I remember you seemed interested in the discussion on ebassist.

I haven't started it yet, but I'll let you know how I like it.

Any work out that begins and ends with "lift heavy thing, put back down, repeat" will likely loose me pretty quickly :)

• Members

This is me in spades. I ran my ass off (literally) a few times, and when I got hurt, or changed jobs (which changed my ability to get in run time) I just blow up. The other issue I I don't really bulk up in any noticeable way, I just change from fat to muscle and back (army cardio/calisthenics). I need a new system that takes >30 min/day,is relatively low impact (at least to start) and can be done with minimal upfront investment. You know, like an American
;)

I could give you a bunch of routines that require ~20 minutes a day with virtually no impact or up front cost... but the amount of willpower it takes to stick too it is pretty hefty. Only real requirement is a place to puke when you feel the need.

• Members

So far, here's what I'm doing:

1) Install chinup bar

2) do random chinup/pullup/etc exercise until I can't anymore every time I walk past it

Now at 10 real pullups in a sitting again, hoorah.

Next it's back to the stupid chuck norris machine for realsies, and leg lifts/crunches/etc.

• Members

They also warned against "being a guy" in the gym, and trying to bulk up while you're losing, so you're not just transferring fat into your muscles and not actually getting rid of it. By the time I'm down to 215 I'll still have plenty of body mass to get as big or build enough muscle as I want.

They basically said go heavy on cardio (which I figured) and just enough to keep your muscles in shape on everything else. Sigh.

What's funny is, a friend of mine is a trainer / nutritionist. He's a 0 cardio guy. Can't stand cardio and will do weight loss through diet and other means not involving normal cardio activity. I must admit, so long as you stay within some reasonable guidelines, it works just fine.

• Members

Did it help at all? Sleep deprivation is another problem I am trying to deal with.

It helped a lot!

I used to got to bed around 11pm, tired as hell. Around 3am, I'd wake up and be wide awake. Whenever I managed to fall asleep, I'd barely be asleep and have bizarre dreams and thoughts.

I still have sleeping issues, but they're not nearly as bad as they were before I modified my diet.

• Members

I could give you a bunch of routines that require ~20 minutes a day with virtually no impact or up front cost... but the amount of willpower it takes to stick too it is pretty hefty. Only real requirement is a place to puke when you feel the need.

Lay 'em on me.

• Members

4lbs exactly Friday til today.

However, I had no idea I'd have to spend almost $3000 on this program. I'm seeing if I can get a refund tomorrow. All it is is telling you what to eat, and you take 15 pills a day and eat their "supplements" in between, yet you still have the cost of food. If I can't get out of it, I'll just use what I have until it's out and do it on my own from there.

Gd and I thought NutriSystem was expensive...

• Members

Lay 'em on me.

We use Ross Enamait's training programs. You can find some of them on Rosstraining.com Here are some examples:

No Excuses Workout

First Round

Burpees x 60 seconds

Pull-ups x 60 seconds

Squats x 60 seconds

Pushups x 60 secondsSecond Round

Burpees x 45 seconds

Pull-ups x 45 seconds

Squats x 45 seconds

Pushups x 45 secondsThird Round

Burpees x 30 seconds

Pull-ups x 30 seconds

Squats x 30 seconds

Pushups x 30 secondsFourth Round

Burpees x 15 seconds

Pull-ups x 15 seconds

Squats x 15 seconds

Pushups x 15 secondsThat's a 10 minute routine. If you don't have a pull-up bar you could throw in another exercise. Sit-ups would work if all else fails, though not ideal.

The 100 burpee challenge is another brutal workout. Just do 100 burpees as fast as you can. I've seen guys do it in less than 6 minutes. Here's a video of it done in less than 5:

[YOUTUBE]iyWbPKVL3jw[/YOUTUBE]

The Magic 50 is a staple routine, though it does require a dumbell or something similarly heavy that you can lift. A jug of water or sand would probably work just fine to start.

Perform 5 circuits of the following:

5 Dumbbell Snatches Per Arm

5 Dumbbell Swings Per Arm

10 Burpees

Rest 60 seconds and repeatContinue until you have performed five complete circuits. Limit rest to 60 seconds or less between each circuit. Advanced athletes will work through the entire routine with minimal rest (ex. 30 seconds between rounds).

If you have room to run, or jump rope, the interval challenge is rowdy.

The Interval Challenge

Complete four circuits consisting of the following:

12 Burpees

24 Pushups

36 Bodyweight squats

400-Meter runYou can give yourself a lot more options for working out if you have access to a pull-up bar and/or buy a heavy duty medicine ball. Medicine balls allow you to replicate sledge hammer swings, or chopping wood by slamming the ball into the floor.

fjaTd_ZemkQ

Having a heavy bag or something to punch is another option. Regardless, the point is to do circuits of different exercises one after another, and to do them at maximum intensity for shorter periods of time rather than, say, jogging at a lower intensity for longer periods.

You can mix and match exercises as you see fit. Bodyweight exercises will provide PLENTY of work. They include:

Burpees

Push-ups

Sit-ups

Jumping Jacks

Mountain Climbers

Body Weight Squats

High Knee Jumps (Jump and bring knees to chest)

Jumping Rope

Shadow Boxing

Tabata circuits are a phenomenal workout and really help to reduce your recovery time, which is important for stop-and-go activities. You basically pick an exercise and perform it as hard/fast as you possibly can for 20 seconds. Then rest for 10 seconds. Do that 8 times. Here's a video of a guy doing Tabata conditioning on his heavy bag.

lA3HoQ-xlkc

Do NOT change exercises if you're doing Tabata exercises. Same exercise, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off for a 4 minute round. You can THEN move on to another exercise and do the same routine if you like. 4 rounds with a 1 minute break between each will give you a monster 20 minute workout requiring nothing but your body. For example:

1st Round: 4 minutes of Tabata body weight squats.

Rest 1 minute

2nd Round: 4 minutes of Tabata push-ups

Rest 1 minute

3rd Round: 4 minutes of Tabata high knee jumps

Rest 1 minute

4th Round: 4 minutes of Tabata burpees

Puke

20 minutes is all it takes.

If you wanna change things up, take a deck of cards, assign each suit a specific exercise, shuffle the deck and start flipping cards. The number tells you how many reps you do (Face cards 10, Aces 11). Do the whole deck.

Archived