So I know these things suck...

Dark Slide

• Members

I read that thread before I posted here, but TB posters are some of the most "My-{censored}-don't-stink" bass players I've ever come across, so I figured I'd ask some people who's opinion I value a bit more.

I appreciate you taking the time to post it though. The problem is that these guys are responding to a post asking about whether or not spending $1000 on one is smart. I'm talking less than $500. I know there was at least one guy on there who said he bought one for that much and he was pretty happy with it, but rather than relying on the opinions of a bunch of people I know nothing about, I figured I'd come here and get advice from a bunch of people I know nothing about.

• Moderators

I read that thread before I posted here, but TB posters are some of the most "My-{censored}-don't-stink" bass players I've ever come across, so I figured I'd ask some people who's opinion I value a bit more.

I appreciate you taking the time to post it though. The problem is that these guys are responding to a post asking about whether or not spending $1000 on one is smart. I'm talking less than $500. I know there was at least one guy on there who said he bought one for that much and he was pretty happy with it, but rather than relying on the opinions of a bunch of people I know nothing about, I figured I'd come here and get advice from a bunch of people I know nothing about.

In my experience, those basses are quite difficult to play and not very satisfying. I think anything you spend on one is too much and the experience may turn you off from wanting to play the double bass. I'll play a $20 electric bass, but I won't play one of those uprights.

• Members

Its a crapshoot. But the house holds the odds. My observations have been that about 1 out or 4 hold together much longer than 2-3 yrs. Theres always the exception, but generally they suffer from loose tolerances and bad glue.

So roll the $500, pay $200-300 for a good set up, and you might get a lot of gigs and years before you have to put it back together. Or, more likely, you spend the $2000 you could buy a nicely set up decent plywood Engleheart or Upton for on luthier bills within a year.

• Members

hey DS

those cremonas arent dreadful...I've had a few students with the SB-2...however, you'd need to take a look for sure. Take a small LED flashlight with you...put it in the f-hole and have them shut off the lights...if you see light coming from any of the seams, have them knock $50 off. Then bring a measuring tape with mm on it. measure the G string height from the fingerboard. If it's higher than 7mm ask them to take $50 off.

If you get one i'd be more than happy to help you learn set-up and techniques

:D

Archived