flat or round wound strings?

davidM

• Members

So I need to restring my ric, and one of the guys in the band said I should get some flatwounds. I've read that flatwounds are what sound best on a Ric, but I'm not entirely sure it will for this situation. We are a pretty heavy artcore band and usually play in drop D.

Thoughts?

• Members

I've always played in heavy bands and tried groudwounds one time (halfway between flat and round) and they didn't cut through nearly as well as my nickels so I gave up on em. YMMV though... A Ric is a totally different animal than a Reverend.

• Members

What's "best" on a Ric, or in general is a personal opinion. I find that opinions on flats are generally love or hate, with few in between. Having said that, I love flats. I'd say give them a try. Nothing to lose, as you can always revert back to your currant strings if you are not happy.

• Members

What is your role in the band, soundwise?

Rics sound great with flats or rounds.

Our guitarist is typically all over the map doing crazy lead lines, my role is to essentially lock in between him and the drummer, and keep things sane and more musical. Typically my parts are much simpler then his, in a way I'm a glorified rhythm guitarist. I play with a pick as well. No finger plucking or slapping, their previous bassist did that and I was given strict instructions not to be "that kind of a bass play" and often the bass sounds of bands like Converge, Hot Water Music, and Small Brown Bike are referenced in the style of playing they would like to see.

Hope that helps!

• Members

No finger plucking or slapping, their previous bassist did that and I was given strict instructions not to be "that kind of a bass player"

That sounds a bit dictatorial IMO. While they are entitled to try to have a particular band sound, they have no right to dictate your technique.

• Members

Our guitarist is typically all over the map doing crazy lead lines, my role is to...keep things sane and more musical. Typically my parts are much simpler then his, in a way I'm a glorified rhythm guitarist...No finger plucking or slapping,...I was given strict instructions not to be "that kind of a bass play(er)"

Hope that helps!

It certainly helps me to see that your guitarist is not really a guitarist- he is an EGOist.:facepalm:

• Members

the previous bassist was very funk oriented in his playing, and although he was very talented that style of playing took a lot away from the sound they were collectively trying to acheive, and I agreed with that months before I was asked to join. In our initial talks I specifically asked what they wanted out of me as a bassist. And I'm happy to say that the references they made and style of playing are right up my alley. As I spend more time with them and get used to the music I'm adding my flavors all over the place and it's pretty rare people aren't smiling about them.

I should clearify, the "all over the map" that was a bit embelished, lets say his form of playing is not very traditional, and he is always trying to keep the music unique.

here: fair warning it's screamy.

**bluedogaudio thanks for the input!

• Members

I just need to bite the bullet on this one.

Let us know how you get on. I'm pretty sure you wont be disappointed. You will definitely notice a difference in the feel, plus less over all string noise.

To give you an idea of how flats sound with a pick ( not a Ric ;) ), check out some Carol Kaye on You Tube.

• Members

Let us know how you get on. I'm pretty sure you wont be disappointed. You will definitely notice a difference in the feel, plus less over all string noise.

To give you an idea of how flats sound with a pick ( not a Ric
;)
), check out some Carol Kaye on You Tube.

Of course, I'm going to pick up a set tonight of flats tonight, keeping my fingers crossed the local shop has them so I don't have to go to a certain store who's name I don't speak.

• Members

Busy lead guitarist. Looking to bridge between drums and guitars. Looking to support more than show off.

You are a major candidate for flats. Make sure to let flats break in a while before you come to a decision. It will take several hours of playing before the true voice of the strings comes out.

What brand flats does your store sell? Flats are not all alike. Gauge is important as well as brand.

• Members

Make sure to let flats break in a while before you come to a decision. It will take several hours of playing before the true voice of the strings comes out.

What brand flats does your store sell? Flats are not all alike. Gauge is important as well as brand.

+1. Especially on giving them time (sometimes longer than hours ).

• Members

I'm not sure entirely sure, but I think i'll have Roto/Daddario/Ernie Ball.

We go between drop D and standard tuning, I was thinking 105 or 110 (probably 110)

That's pretty heavy for flats.

I might suggest the 45-100 set of D'Addario Chromes (probably the most available set of flats anywhere), or something even lighter.

• Members

Drop-D on a Rick? Definitely try the flatwounds.

You'll hate them and your bandmate will have to keep his mouth shut for a long time.

So I need to restring my ric, and one of the guys in the band said I should get some flatwounds. I've read that flatwounds are what sound best on a Ric, but I'm not entirely sure it will for this situation. We are a pretty heavy artcore band and usually play in drop D.

Thoughts?

Archived