stickers on a bass?

mlwarriner

• Members

I'd spray a nice, thick, lossy clear coat on top. A rattle can from Home Depot would do. Make sure there on there nice and tight. Its a pain in the ass when one get a loose corner when your half way through.
:facepalm:

Dam too slow.

is there a particular type of clearcoat to cover them with? sorry if that's a dumb{censored} question... lacquer? acrylic? etc...

:idk:

• Members

is there a particular type of clearcoat to cover them with? sorry if that's a dumb{censored} question... lacquer? acrylic? etc...

:idk:

Lacquer isn't the most durable but will allow you to get a thick coat. Most of my clear cans are enamel. Easy to work with, not very messy and is rather durable. My pickgaurd and headstock have enamel clear coats and have taken a beating pretty well. Just spray a few more coats than you think you need and you'll be fine.

• Members

Lacquer isn't the most durable but will allow you to get a thick coat. Most of my clear cans are enamel. Easy to work with, not very messy and is rather durable. My pickgaurd and headstock have enamel clear coats and have taken a beating pretty well. Just spray a few more coats than you think you need and you'll be fine.

buff/sand/polish between coats?

how many coats (in reality)? 6? 12?

• Members

buff/sand/polish between coats?

I don't think thats necessary. Maybe knock it down with ~220# between coats but thats just to keep orange peel away (which I like :p). Make sure to keep a light hand so you don't rub the stickers off.

how many coats (in reality)? 6? 12?

I did 4 wet coats over ~6 hours on my headstock and its hard as rock. If your going for the punk look, I'd do 3-4 wet coats and so that over the years it will wear down and looks good. If your going for Flea's Modulus look, where you want it to stay nice and shiny and pristine, then 6-8 heavy coats should do. But I mean numbers are purely circumstantial. Depending on the weather and the product and the nozzle ect, it will vary. Use your eyes and hands to feel what you need.

• Members

I don't think thats necessary. Maybe knock it down with ~220# between coats but thats just to keep orange peel away (which I like
:p
). Make sure to keep a light hand so you don't rub the stickers off.

I did 4 wet coats over ~6 hours on my headstock and its hard as rock. If your going for the punk look, I'd do 3-4 wet coats and so that over the years it will wear down and looks good. If your going for Flea's Modulus look, where you want it to stay nice and shiny and pristine, then 6-8 heavy coats should do. But I mean numbers are purely circumstantial. Depending on the weather and the product and the nozzle ect, it will vary. Use your eyes and hands to feel what you need.

by "wet coat" - you mean a medium weight coat, right?

and the 220# paper - dry, right? or wet?

• Members

let's preted i've got a bass i want to cover with stickers, and i would like to somehow "seal" those stickers such that they're basically permanent to the bass.

how would one go about doing something like that?

Jizm. A lot of it.

• Members

by "wet coat" - you mean a medium weight coat, right?

and the 220# paper - dry, right? or wet?

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but 220 sounds like an awfully rough grade of sandpaper for this application - I'd actually think that 1000 grit and wet sanding would work better...

- georgestrings

Archived